Pig Bomb

Doc

I didn't figure they could run that fast being short and heavy. Sometimes I think well maybe their population won't get out of control in the NE but then again about 10 - 15 years ago we didn't seem to have half the geese that hang in NY either.

One comment that I remember hearing on that program is that the wild varieties of pigs have longer legs and that may be of some assistance in getting that speed. But by golly, they are awful fast. That's one of the things that adds a bit of danger in a wild boar hunt is the way their speed can turn you from the hunter to the hunted.

One of the things that I have repeatedly heard as a major reason for the rapid spread of their range is that often, hunters will illegally trap and transport these things into new areas for new hunting opportunities. The other thing is the proliferation of game farms and pay-to-hunt operations that raise these critters and then have them escape. All pigs are pretty darn hard to contain. I remember that from the old family farm where over the years we lost a few domestic hogs that figured out ways of getting under fences. So, it's not hard to go from an area that has no pigs to an area that has a growing herd (herd ..... is that the right term?) of them over-night.

Doc

They breed like rats, I use to hunt them down in Lousiana and Alabama and it was nothing to see 30 of them between 150 and 300lbs apeice.  I shot a 300 pounder one time and it was the worst drag ever out of a nasty swamp. There hair is really course and it collects every twig and leaf you drag them over. On the up side she was a sow and was rather delic!!! :)