Starting out with bowhunting. looking for some advice/help.

Hunting18

Last summer a buddy of mine got a Bear Charge.  I was really impressed with the quality of this bow for the price and it come completely set-up from Dick's & BPS.  It's a real shooter for the price and all it really needs is some Simms or some other noise dampening.

I am trying to decide between Mission Craze, Bear Charge, or Diamond Rock II (with the Diamond Rock trailing fffaaarrr behind).  All three are priced the same.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a PSE Deerhunter - basic and simple starter bow. Ordered it online in 2009 at Yeoldearcheryshoppe.com for a great price ($249 i think) It came with a cheap drop away rest, quiver and large site.  I brought it to my local archery shop and had them set it up for $50. Since then I've been fine tuning it myself and adding accessories i.e. Trueglo lighted site, NAP Apache drop away containment rest with CX arrows using FOB's rather than traditional fletchings. I swear by it. Shoots great and very accurate.

I tend to agree with Sweet Old Bill on this one. Make sure you know your draw length and pondage you intnd to draw.

Look into Archery Talk, Ebay, etc. and buy a name brand older model like Mathews, Hoyt, Bowtech, etc.

My personal bow is 4 yo Mathews Drenalin. Its light, has a real smooth draw cycle and I bet if you look you can still get one for less than $500 fully equipped. I'm sure there are others that would fit this bill. Do some research on some older bows in the 4 yo range... read reviews and then make your play or bid on a good used bow. You might be surprised.

I have the Diamond Iceman. It was one of the high end bows when it came out I paid around 750 for it but i'm sure it's a lot cheaper now. Really fast and quiet. I agree with everyone though shoot a bunch then buy. The big things is a lot of guys become loyal to a brand name and thats all they ever shoot. I've had 4 bows in the last 4 years and every bow was different. First bow was an old browning that broke opening day my first year bow hunting. Then a pse, fred bear and now my bowtech. Each bow was my favorite till i got the next one.