Seward Bill Favored By Cortland County Sportsmen Signed Into Law

Fantail

source

ALBANY, 08/04/11 – State Senator James L. Seward (R/C/I – Oneonta) announced today that legislation allowing Cortland County sportsmen and women to use a rifle while hunting deer or bear has been signed into law.

“This is common sense legislation that mirrors regulations already in effect in neighboring counties allowing the use of rifles while hunting big game,” said Senator Seward. “More importantly, Cortland County sportsmen and women, who collectively have an impeccable safety record, strongly support the change.”

The legislation (S.1683-A/A.4357-A) amends section 11-0907 of the environmental conservation law to add Cortland County to the list of counties in which the taking of deer by rifle is authorized.  Current law allows for rifle use in Allegany, Cattaraugus, Chemung, Chenango, Herkimer, Madison, Montgomery, Oneida, Oswego, Otsego, Schoharie, Schuyler, Steuben, Tioga, Yates and a portion of Broome County.

Very few adverse incidents or problems have been reported in the counties where big-game rifle hunting is currently permitted.  In fact, neighboring Madison County reported no incidents or accidents involving rifles during the first season (2008) that their use was allowed.

“With fewer hunters taking to the woods and the deer population on the rise, we have seen an increase in crop damage as well as a rise in dangerous and expensive car-deer accidents.  Allowing the use of rifles for big-game hunting will help combat these growing problems while at the same time enhancing the local hunting experience.  I wish all of our sportsmen a safe and productive hunting season this fall,” Seward concluded.

The new law takes effect with the upcoming big-game hunting season which begins on the third Saturday in November, November 19, 2011.

I hope to have most of my hunting done before SZ reg opens. And even so where I usually go is slug range so not much will change. However this does open up a possible new stand location, oppertunity covering a 180+ yard opening on a different lease. The 700 would shine there. Without getting into the reason why it's safe to say it would be a gun only stand. And I'm not sure I want to spend another 100$ just for that.

The rifle is certainly not JUST about long shots.  I'll take a 50, 60 or 70 yard shot any day with the rifle over a slug.  Precision shooting is nice at any range. 

(Please don't start telling me how accurate YOUR slug gun or ML is, they aren't rifles!)

The rifle is certainly not JUST about long shots.  I'll take a 50, 60 or 70 yard shot any day with the rifle over a slug.  Precision shooting is nice at any range. 

(Please don't start telling me how accurate YOUR slug gun or ML is, they aren't rifles!)

I absolutely agree.  Yeah the slug gun and muzzleloader can reach out to even 100 yards and maybe beyond, but NO way will you be able to shoot with the same precision as with a decent centerfire rifle.  I have never had as much confidence placing a shot with any other weapon like I have with a rifle.  And there is good reason for it, because a rifle is simply more dependable in delivering the shot where you want it to go.  In my opinion there will be way less gunshots heard during deer season now that rifles are legal.  More people will connect with that first shot and repeat fire will be needed less often.

Years ago the NYS Hunting accident report were vastly swayed in favor of accidents during deer season occuring in Shotgun Counties over Rifle Counties.  I like rifle hunting a lot more than anything else.  Gongrats to Cortland.  Solon, the 270 will do you just fine for deer.  No worries there.