Work me some potential loads to try out...

phade

Picked up a Traditions Vortek UL...looking to test it in two weekends at the range and I want to pick up some new projectiles, etc.

I bought some BH209 for it and intend to shoot it, if it's manageable with the breech plug (I keep hearing horror stories about how some won't ignite well). I also have 777 pellets, although I'd like to avoid using them altogether if the good qualities of BH209 come through.

I picked up some Hornday SSTs (250 gr). I also have a small stock of Hornady XTP (240 gr) and Powerbelts in 223 grain that I've use to use out of my Wolf.

I like the Barnes products, but they're a bit spendy and I think they may need a special tool/adapter on the rods to load? So, I'm open to brand, etc. and even powder measurements.

My goal is to shoot reliably to 150 yards with the majority of shots 75 and less. Don't care for much more distance than that, although I would welcome it despite little real-world application for me.

the vortek has the ported barrel,that could be a pain with loose powder.You can always try loose T7 or prydex.The bullets you listed are all good choices except the power belts.That is just MY thoughts, others like them .The FPB and the deep curls are two other bullets you might want to shoot or try out.The deep curls are taking muzzle loading by storm,they might be on back order from alot of places.Powder Valley just had them as I placed a order for 50.

BH209 can now be bought for 27bucks to your door.If shooting loose start at arounf 80gr and then work your way up.Most sweet spots are between 80-90gr loose.

• 2 weeks later...

For economical bullets. Buy Hornady XTPs, in .45 cal in bulk. And some MMP sabots.  Either the 250 grain or 300 grainer bullet will work. Both usually shoot very well out of most guns.  They just plain whack deer. Ive killed more than 25 deer with the 300 grainer at ranges from 10 to 165 yards. Only recovered 2 bullets. Both perfect mushrooms.  Great penetration even when hitting shoulders,and  huge blood trails usually mean found deer. I have killed deer with the 250's and they work well too but prefer the 300's.

I cant believe people pay so much for these so called premium bullets when thes XTP will do it all. If they shoot well in your gun use em. they wont fail you. If something like a barnes shoots better use these for parctice.