Turkey Dog Guide?

Uncle Nicky

I'm looking for a guide with a turkey dog to hunt this fall, in either NY or Pennsylvania. I've gone quite a few times with another guide, but he seems to be losing interest. I know the drill, so you wouldn't be taking out a newbie. I could make it just a day or a long weekend, and I can get my own food & stay in a motel, so it doesn't have to be a fancy lodge or guide service. Send me a PM if interested, or if you know of anyone looking for business, leave a name & contact info.

Thanks in advance! Nick

• 1 month later...

Of course, the name that comes to mind is Pete Clare's Turkey Trot Acres in Candor NY...They are nationally famous, as is thier main dog trainer/handler. Can't think of his name right now, but he breeds his own strain of turkey dogs ( originally from Virginia) and is kind of the main man in the who's who of turkey dogs.

When was hunting turkeys with dogs legalized in PA ? Just asking...Not too long ago it was illegal..One of Pa's many stupid hunting laws..

Pete Clare is the the best in the business. That goes for Turkey hunting and Turkey Dogs. Iv been going to Turkey Trot since I was a child. I will be going to Turkey Trot next month for a couple only Turkey Hunt with Dogs. Pete is the best and his operation is FIRST CLASS all the way.

Thanks guys for the responses, it's been a while since I checked this post.

Actually, I did get in touch with Kevin Evans, I set something up for next month. I spoke with Pete from Turkey Trot a few years ago, I hear he runs a first-rate operation, but his rates are just a little rich for my blood. I'd like to get my own dog some day & train it, just don't have the time or birds close to home to do it right.

PA has allowed dogs for the last few years in the fall. I haven't been able to hook up with anyone here to hunt with yet, looks like I'll be doing it the hard way in PA this fall. :lol:

Edited by Uncle Nicky

I didn't know it was legal to hunt turkeys with dogs in NYS.....

Turkey hunting with a dog has always been legal in NY in the fall season..

It is illegal in the spring.

I suspect this is because the dogs might do some damage to nests or nesting hens in the spring, which of course, is not an issue in the fall. There is also a lot of other young wildlife around in the spring that dogs could have a negative impact on.

• 6 months later...