Chipmunks, Lizards and Salamanders!

Arrowsmith

Was paging through the new DEC regulations and saw where you may not posess or harvest salamanders and I thought back to all those summer days camping with my family in Allegany State Park and going on "nature hunts"! To say the least, SOMEONE in our group always managed salamanders in a cup, and we were only one of many on the creek each time we went. When did salamanders become endagered?

As for the chipmunks, I remember when they were specifically listed in the "unprotected" species area of the regs. Now I can find no mention of chipmunks. Same story here, as a boy growing up in a squirrel hunting family our 22's were sometimes used to eradicate the pests around the cabin because they got in and caused all types of damage! There were always more than we could handle. Are they now protected?

I mention the chipmunks because while on a recent black bear hunt in Ontario I was again reading regs and found a listing of fully protected species, and you guessed it the "eastern chipmunk" has full protection in Ontario.

What are your thoughts on Salamanders and chipmunks?

By the way, I got a small 150lb bear with my bow. It is my 6th to date.post-977-0-75787900-1315945881_thumb.jpg

Arrowsmith

Forgot to mention all native snakes (inlcuded common garter variety) also fall into the do hot harvest or catch category. No more snake hunting for kids? What the heck is this world coming to?

Lol ..... It doesn't matter. All the couch-side techno-toys have killed off that activity already and a lot of similar outdoor activities and pastimes.

As a kid, I use to catch tiny common garter snakes at this abandoned field near where I grew up. There was so many that anytime I went, I was guaranteed half dozen within an hour. I went to college. Came back and found out the field is now a middle-school and asphalt parking lot.