Best way to bring in a coyote

steve863

Now I myself could honestly care less about killing a coyote or fox, but my wife of all people has been saying that she'd love to have a coyote or fox pelt to hang on the wall next to some of our other items we have from the natural world.

I admit that I have little interest in predator hunting and don't know a heck of a lot about it. What could some of you recommend as a good tactic to help bring in a coyote? Are there any calls that work better than others? I know that I have even brought a couple in with turkey calls in the past. I will be going turkey hunting in the coming weeks before the bow season opens and know that the coyote season opens Oct 1st, so I may take some time out from turkeys and go out with my heavy barrel .22-250 that I have had collecting dust in the closet for years now and maybe become a hero to my wife and get her a coyote pelt. LOL Any suggestions on what works well would be appreciated.

The ones I had come in last year came to rabbit in distress calls. Fox will come to it as well. Generally speaking, a fox will come to the call in 15 mins or less if they hear it and dont bust you. Coyotes seem to be more wary and can take 45 mins or more to come in. I use E-callers, but there are a ton of mouth calls out there that work great.

everywhere is different, but if you have called them in before with a turkey call, try it again. Now is the time the young yotes can be called in easier than the winter. For the young yotes, this is their first fall hunting on their own and they havent heard humans calling yet. Anything distress could work. Use what is in your area (rabbit, turkey, etc). I have called in fox to a doe bleat call numerous times. Makes me wonder what the fox would have done if it was a doe and not me?

Also check out this site > http://nypredatorhunters.proboards.com/index.cgi lots of info for NY.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Yep, work good at night. I had my best luck last year calling just before dark and right after dark. Things with yotes would seem to die down until really late, like 3 or 4 am and then they would pick up again until an hour or so after daylight. Fox seemed to be active the whole time. I am not an expert by any means, just what I noticed after hunting quite a few times last year.

Yes, I have hunted at night as well. Usually I go from 10/11pm - 2/3am in January/February. I set my E-caller about 20/30 yards away from me. One person with the spotlight, the other with the shotgun.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Hmmm...my E-Caller hangs from my neck. Which I understand might not be the best approach. But I can't work it remotely...yeah, I'm cheap and bought the less expensive one.

Maybe I can record it and put the player somewhere nearby.

Or just hit it and stay "very" aware of my surroundings. (either way it sounds like fun)

Edited by apertureguy

FoxPro electonic E-Callers work great. I have the spitfire and used it in sub zero temps up to 50 yards away from me.

I'm sure they work great, but I surely ain't gonna spend that kind of money just to kill one coyote or fox pelt that my wife wants. I bought an inexpensive mouth call. I'd sooner let someone stick me with a sharp object to make me sqeal than pay a good amount of money on an electronic call I may be using once or twice! LOL

That sounds like a great deal, WNY, but since I already ordered the mouth call I think I'll give that a try. I checked out some on-line videos and it doesn't look too hard to use those rabbit in distress mouth calls. If all else fails, I will let someone stick me with a pointy object and maybe I will sqeal loud enough to attract every coyote in the county? LOL

predator hunting is addictive....the spitfire is like $200 lol, but if you didnt want to spend money you could simply kiss the back of your hand and you could have a fox/yote come walking in. Its been done before many times.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

I made an electronic call out of a speaker horn and amplifier box bought at radio shack for about $20.  Then I hooked my iphone (or any mp3 player) to it and it's just as good if not better then an expensive store bought call.  Even the free coyote and rabbit sounds I got online available on many websites sound like the same ones the store bought calls use.