25-06 loads

fasteddie

The 25-06 is considered a wildcat cartridge . Regular ammo is much more expensive than say 308 , 270 , etc .. Since 30-06 brass is easier to obtain , would it be okay to run 30-06 brass through a 25-05 full size die . I would think this is how it was originally done but not positive . Waiting to hear your reply , Bubba !  :)

The 25-06 WAS considered a wildcat until about 30 or 35 years ago when Remington started chambering factory rifles in 25-06 and it became a standard FACTORY offering.. Same thing happened to the 22-250 and a number of other cartridges , like the 7mm08, the .243 Win and others..

And, yes indeed you can run a 30-06 case into a 25-06 die and neck it down.. I see no real need to go through that at this point in time, since there is is plenty of properly headstamped 25-06 brass to be had, but there is no reason you can't do it if you want to, or if you have a bunch of 30-06 brass that you have no other use for..

25-06 brass isn't all that plentiful and is rather pricy just like the loaded ammo . I even looked on MIDWAY and theirs is expensive .

Shooters used to leave their brass at the range but with the price of ammo , they must be picking it up .

• 2 weeks later...

i have used 30-06 brass. you will need to check the case lenth as it will be long. the 25-06 is a great round, modert recoil, very flat shooting. i used one for everything from bear, to mulies. i always was fond of the 120 gr nosler partition. had good success with imr 4350 and imr 4064.

Depending on how particular you are about the reloading you may have some variable in neck thickness after sizing down. For hunting at shorter ranges (less than 3-400 yards) probably no issue. If you want 1/2 MOA accuracy you may want to neck turn the brass after sizing to get consistant thickness.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi ed, sorry for the delay.  I actually resize 270 brass as it is less of a resize, which eliminates a lot of the neck thickness problem.  I have also sized 30-06 to 270 then 25, but it did not work as well as 270 and it is quite plentiful. Usually the 270 does not need length sizing as it is just a tad shorter than 25 until you shoot it.  The other thing to remember is if you have a 270, or 30-06, be sure not to mix up the brass or loads.  I have been grabbing one time shot 25-06 on other sites and have a couple hundred now. If you would like some resized 270's let me know I will send you some.

all three calibers 30-06 25-06 d 270 are all based on the 30-06.  Same shoulder.  The only difference is the neck size to accommodate different bullet diameters.  As I stated pm me your address, I have probably 150 already resized 270's I do not use as I have a nephew who now has a 270 and I do not want to mes shim up. I will drop them in a box and send them to you already to go

I have been reloading 270 for my oldest son . He had some of my other son's brass so I ended up Full Sizing all of it as it varied in neck size with the regular sizing die . He is shooting good groups with it . Matt buys the primer , powder and bullets and I do the work . That's what dad's are for .................

• 6 months later...