Is it legal?

Marti375

If you go to DEC's web site look under frequently asked questions. They have section in there on it but they way its worded I'm unsure. The only reason I ask is because I go deep in the woods. Couple years ago a buddy of mine shot a deer and we knew we weren't going to make it out before dark. Long story short we had an issue with a coyote that night. Should this happen again i would like to have my 22 with me.

dont you own anything bigger than a .22 handgun for the coyotes?

I do have larger hand guns. They allow you to carry a .22 during regular season as long as you do not use it as a primary or secondary impliment for deer hunting. I understand they don't want you to take shot with a 357 if you muzzleloader doesn't go bang or you miss.

You have that wrong. You can have a gun (pistol) with a mag capacity of more than 6 if the barrel is shorter than 8 inches.

I realize that now lol

And why cant you carry a bigger handgun that makes no sense? If its regular season in which you can HUNT with a handgun why cant you carry both??

It takes time but they can't refuse to give you one unless they have a good reason, like you have been arrested.

Yeah they can. NY is not a Right-To-Carry State, it's up to the judge in your county. That's why some counties are harder to get one than others. If you're in Oneida County don't plan on getting an unrestricted permit, they say you have to prove you have a "need" for an unrestricted one.

They can't refuse you unless they have a good reason. They can however place what they call an administrative resriction on your permit ie "hunting & targeting". I carry a gun every day for work yet I am not a cop, my license still says "Hunting and targeting". Years ago a friend of mine used me as a reference to get his permit. He has since become a police officer and a FFL dealer, his permit still says "Hunting & targeting". In NY there are only two kinds of permits "Premis permit" and "Carry concealed".

The judge has the ability to decide the severity of the infraction that prevents you from getting the permit. If your judge is a pro-gun judge he will lean towards giving them more easily, if he is anti-gun he can jam you up on something minor. Then what do you do? You get a lawyer ($$$$) and appeal the decision to... the judge.

Even if they give it to you right away with no problems at all, "a license issued pursuant to section 400.01 of this article may be revoked and cancelled at any time by the licensing officer or any judge or justice of a court of record." (NYS Penal Code ss 400 pp 11)

I have my new laminated Erie County Pistol license that I first recieved in 1975 when it was printed on mustard color paper. . Mine says unrestrictricted right under my photo. It has benn unrestricted for over 30 years.... It gives me a good feeling that I was a law abiding citizen....

Wasn't sure where to post this. I know it's legal to cary a 22 psitol during regular deer season, it's listed on DEC's web site under frequently asked questions. Is it legal to cary one during muzzleloading season? I have tried to email dec with no luck.

Only a muzzleloading pistol is permitted durning muzzleloading seasons. You also must have and carry a NYS pistol permit