doe hitting scrapes

growalot

Does are hit or miss with scrapes. I think much of depends on their age, breeding state, and whether they still have little ones in tow.

I've been fortunate to witness a good amount of scrape activity while hunting because of a few small woodlots. I've seen one doe come in and work it, when one about 10 minutes later will walk by it, circle it, and keep on going - almost as an avoidance.

Does with little ones tend to avoid it more often than ones without. Also seem to see single does work the scrape...don't see too many does in groups doing that.

It looks like you've got an edge scrape. While large bucks will visit/start edge scrapes early...I find they are not common visitors until further along in the season. It does happen on occassion, however. Interior scrapes or those with cover (along a standing corn field/edge of woods) are more likely to be visited by a mature buck at this time of year.

Oddly enough, with all that I said, I've encountered both of those off-chances. I've got a nice buck working three edge scrapes and also have a doe with little ones on another scrape this year.

No hard and fast rules, that's for sure. I just wouldn't get too worried about the lack of sightings yet. Any interior scrapes around?

Don't forget, if you are in ag. land...patterns can change overnight (corn coming down, harvests, etc.).

Edited by phade

Phade ...actually this is in the middle of our woods....on the corner off two of many trails I mow...and at the head of a gully....there are two scrapes farther back of this trail and when I went to return the card there was another new scrape not far from where that first buck stood....but that one had an over hanging branch that was worked.....This is the most activity as far as scrapes I've ever seen on the property and there are NO rubs any where...those usually show up really late and in gun season....go figure

Edited by growalot

Phade ...actually this is in the middle of our woods....on the corner off two of many trails I mow...and at the head of a gully....there are two scrapes farther back of this trail and when I went to return the card there was another new scrape not far from where that first buck stood....but that one had an over hanging branch that was worked.....This is the most activity as far as scrapes I've ever seen on the property and there are NO rubs any where...those usually show up really late and in gun season....go figure

The mowing may keep those mature bucks off of that scrape....hard to tell though.

Some of them do not have overhanging lick branches? I'd move the came to one that does just to see if there's anything different showing up.

Pretty unusual to not see rubs until later in the year. That just adds to the mystery!