777 vs Pyrodex

Fantail

I've shot Pyrodex since '81, still load the same load that proved most accurate in my .54 Renegade. 110 grs. Pyrodex & 430 gr. Maxi-Ball. It's the only muzzleloader I own.

I posted this pic on another M/L topic on this site. I shot this 3-shot group off a bench using a T/C peep sight with a T/C bead front sight to which I drilled the center out and added a spot of white epoxy paint. It was probably the best group I fired with this gun at the time. Accuracy has always been superb with my Renegade. The only thing failing on me these days are my eyes at this distance.

utf-8BL0RldmljZSBNZW1vcnkvaG9tZS-3.jpg

I use pyrodex pellets because I don't know anybetter  :)  But from what I have read 777 is a cleaner shooting powder without all the mess. There is an article on http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2h.muzzleloader.htm that compares all the powders that is rather interesting. Say's BH 209 is the best. Pyrodex is nasty and can be really bad for your gun if you dont scrub the heck out of it everytime you shoot it. I can't keep the inside of my breechplug from rusting up no matter what I put in it using pyrodex. Think I will change to 777 pellets this yr to see how it works.

I think I can say Black Horn 209 is by far the best choice,anyone who has used it must agree.Anything else is just second best.If I choose T7 or Pryrodex I will take T7 every time.Just my choice,no right ,wrong or better, just me.

If your getting rust from pyrodex are you cleaning it often ?? If not I would suggest cleaning it after every use.Try some windex and then a patch with oil then a dry patch or two.T7 pellets will work the same,but after the 3rd or so shot your going to have to clean the barrel to get another bullet down.The crud ring will develope.Some folks try to use a "hotter" 209 primer and that might help.I am going to switch from Winchester 209 to the Remington Clean bore as I have heard and seen nice results from them.

well I have a buddy who shoots 777 fffg in his sidekick and another who shoots pyrodex select in his traditions. The one who shoots pyrodex sure seems to have a lot less crud when swabbing and cleaning.  I found 777 to be dirtier and harder to load for a second shot.  Just my observations at the range. Oh by the way theone shootng 777 uses 75 grains which is very effective. The one with pyrodex shoots 90.  I personally shoot the holy balck when I can get it., pyrodex when I cant. I am considering switching to blackhorn in the inlines.  Setters4life, I thought I recognized that picture.  ;)

Wow it seems odd to me that either would leave so much residue to make a 2nd load cumbersome. I mean it might be a nessesary thing using a speed load or not. Understanding of course that once the hunt is done and your back at camp / home it's going to be time to clean it anyway.