Grinding after freezing???

BKhunter

Has anyone ever tried to make ground meat after the meat was already frozen? Is this even possible or is it just a waste? I am far from where I hunt and would like to grind meat for sausage, chili, and burgers and can't do it on site or at midnight when I get back from hunting. I would like to freeze it and then grind it when I'm ready to make burgers and sausages.

Do it all the time!! I usually partially freeze my meat before i grind it. matter of fact i just ground up a shoulder Partially thawed i quartered and froze lastyear (alot faster than boning it all and grinding it all whan short on time) to make jerky for opening day!! just use a smaller plate when frozen or partially frozen. larger if fresh(never froze)

Do it all the time!! I usually partially freeze my meat before i grind it. matter of fact i just ground up a shoulder Partially thawed i quartered and froze lastyear (alot faster than boning it all and grinding it all whan short on time) to make jerky for opening day!! just use a smaller plate when frozen or partially frozen. larger if fresh(never froze)

So I can freeze my meat, freeze it and thaw it out 6 months later to grind? The problem I heard is that you can refreeze meat. So if I make a lot of sausage or burgers I have to eat them right away, right?

I tend to make my boned out meat into reasonable sized pieces and then partially thaw grind and use, this way im not thawing out 40 lbs at a time.. usually 5 to 10 lbs chunks work best for me. making sausage you would want to make reasonable sized batches rather than a large batch and re freeze.. never a good idea to refreeze maet unless its been cooked... but yes the shoulder i just thawed was from a buck i took nov 13 th last year. was warm that day and i didn't have a lot of time to cut and grind it as i had to go to work so i quarted out the shoulders and froze, and boned the rest into about 10lbs portions.. all total i have 65 lbs frozen in about 10 lbs chunks. that i will use for jerky and chili this bow season. Just make sure you wrap it as you would steaks ect. freezer burn loves exposed meat...

I tend to make my boned out meat into reasonable sized pieces and then partially thaw grind and use, this way im not thawing out 40 lbs at a time.. usually 5 to 10 lbs chunks work best for me. making sausage you would want to make reasonable sized batches rather than a large batch and re freeze.. never a good idea to refreeze maet unless its been cooked... but yes the shoulder i just thawed was from a buck i took nov 13 th last year. was warm that day and i didn't have a lot of time to cut and grind it as i had to go to work so i quarted out the shoulders and froze, and boned the rest into about 10lbs portions.. all total i have 65 lbs frozen in about 10 lbs chunks. that i will use for jerky and chili this bow season. Just make sure you wrap it as you would steaks ect. freezer burn loves exposed meat...

Thanks for the advice.....I've been dying to start making my own sausage but didn't think it would be possible with my travel time and limited supplies at camp.

Best of luck making the sausage..the only drawback to freezing and grinding this way is you will be making lots of small batches of sausage and usuing it up ..rather than one big one but if you have the time to do it later than trying to do it at camp it will be worth it!! the benifit is without the extra pork n fat added(pork fat doesnt freeze solid and you only can keep it for about 6 months before it taints your meat) to the meat venison will freeze for a long time without spoiling!! so you can stretch your venison enjoyment throughout the year..

Why couldn't you keep the meat in a cooler and get to it in a few days? As long as it's kept cool through ice or cooperative weather. Sometimes I skin and remove the large pieces of meet from the bone the day I get a deer. Then I'll keep the meat for 2 or 3 days this way and butcher a little each day. It's worked out fine.

I keep a few old gallon jugs in my chest freezer for the ice. It's neater to deal with a little condensation rather then melt water from bag ice and I think the blocks last longer.