Need some help/opinion with location of hunt

mossy725

Hey guys,

I'm limited on where I can hunt Saturday, because 1. my wife is due to have our baby any day now and I have to stay in cell phone coverage areas, and 2. I don't own my own land.

This picture is a chunk of state land, where I've watched some deer activity.

My question for Saturday is that the wind is suppose to be out of the W - SW all day. You can see in the picture there's a rather large swamp. Which side of the swamp should I set up on, or should I set up closer to the end/bottom (see numbers next to stand location).

Thanks for any input. Just trying to maximize my time in the woods, before the baby is born.

land.bmp

I would find a spot creek crossing between 1 and 2 along the feeder creek for the swamp and hunt the north side of the creek, there are some islands in that swamp..bet a good buck calls one home.. looks like possible pressure from the east? couple of homes. and from the north east....

Edited by G-Man

I like 2 and 3, depending on where you access the stands--that is as important as the stand itself. You don't want to expect deer to cross your entry scent trail or have your wind blow by them as you enter and still have them come out to the stand. But I'm sure you were already considering that.

I would move 1 either N closer to the funnel around the swamp or S like Gman said--especially if you are looking for a bigger buck. I like that transition line running S of the feeder creek. Looks like lots of good terrain features going on there, especially where you can find a few coming together in one place. Think you might miss out on some activity where 1 is.

Depending on what is in that field i would say hunt in spots 1 or 2 as they appear to be more of a funnel area but that is depending on the wind. I would find a good used deer run and hang a stand on the downwind side. Hopefully you canget a buck cruising by as it is getting closer to prime time. Also if satnd site is a bust you may be able to watch the other standsite (1 seeing 2 or vice versa if open enough)

good luck and congrats on the kids.

• Like 1