Hen or jake?

rjrdomer

My trail cam snapped some pictures of turkeys traveling through. I had assumed these were hens all along. When I showed them to a friend, he said it may be a jake. But I’ve never seen heads so pink on hens and the jakes I’ve seen are darker feathered. Then I noticed what may be a tiny beard. I don’t see any spurs though  

So is it a jake? A hen with a small beard? Or just a plain old hen? Thoughts?

F3DE6956-4DED-4946-9892-F553746821B4.jpeg

It sure looks like a jake  to me...In that picture  the breast feathers look black tipped, which is a sure sign of  a jake..

However, I'd have to see an enlarged picture to be sure..  I once shot a big, rosy headed hen turkey in the fall, and thought sure I was shooting a jake until I got right up to her and saw the chestnut tipped breast feathers..

JaKes, Another month and beard my be visable if it has one Jake a hen by comparison would be smaller and brown tip feathers 

Dark tipped feathers , lack of feathers on neck, best sign of jake, some may never develop a beard ,although rare. 

Edited by G-Man

Thanks all.  So one vote for hens and a few for jakes. I’ve attached a couple more pictures. These are all I have right now as I left the camera card at my hunting camp. One picture is a few days later than the other two but I assume it’s the same birds coming through. 

the more I study the heads, they look like jakes to me as well, however I usually see more pronounced beards on jakes 2-3” so that’s what threw me off. 

5953BEEF-E63B-4D08-A1BF-430CAA5D6D61.jpeg

93F6FF82-5464-4F61-A69F-CD2B88001BBE.jpeg