Tracking Lights

The other night when I went to search for 217, I took two lights. I took my friends MEGA Streamlight monster spot light and my high quality multy beam headlight. My light has two different bulb types, one high intensity and the other halogen. I used the HI to do the blood search and the halogen to just navigate to and from the woods to conserve the battery life.

First off, the big Streamlight spotter was a total waste of time. I knew it would be but took it to appease my friend. The headlight worked perfect.

The leaves were very wet as they had a couple of inches of snow that melted that day and of course it was dark. The leaves were mostly green & yellow. The entrance wound was high in the back and angled down into the right shoulder and had taken out both lungs. With no exit wound to leak, trailing was a bit difficult for the first 40-50 yards before he filled up with blood. I think he only went about 75 yards total.

Get a good multy beam headlight and a couple other lights for your pocket, toilet tissue and your compass.

TRUST me on the compass.......................................(someday I'll tell you about that night in the woods dragging a buck in a circle!)

I'll second 2 lights and a compass.... I hunt farm land and I can tell you first hand about a gun buck and thick brush and a long drag the wrong way ! I would leave the buck and scout ahead wondering why I was not out, then i could not find the deer again !

So I would hang my headlamp over deer while i went ahead to scout my way out,leave pack and gun go back to deer .

It was crazy I hunted here over 20 years was near the edge,yet went the wrong way not realizing the deer had turned while running off, so i ended up dragging in the wrong direction.

As for those deer lights I never used one,but I'm a flashlight geek. i own many from Surefire, Fenix,Four Sevens, Quark and so on and would be glad to help anyone fit a top notch light to their budget.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the Remington version, JUNK ! ended up making myself look like a fool trying to show off my CSI style purchase. Did nothing. Ended up using the mag light !

I'm personally a fan of led flashlights, super bright and last forever. Got a pocket style, bigger style and clip on the hat style.... No compass for me, I'm in familiar woods, always.