full strut decoy still?

518BowSlayer

Is it too late in the season for a full strut deke? I've always switched to single hen decoy for later in the season but I've actually never killed a bird past May 7th. my plan was to get pretty close to the roost and set the full strut close to where I hope they will fly down to, even though I know they don't always like to read the script. just figured the full strut would be more visible as the trees start to green up. I've been pretty consistent this season on finding them on the roost but I've been hesitant to get too close and spook them. they almost always roost above a small creek that is also the property line. 50/50 shot they fly down on our side or the neighbors. a hand full of times they've flown down on our side, strutting and gobbling and socializing for maybe a half hour and then fly back over to the neighbors. our side of the creek is wooded but the other is a wide open field. I can sometimes call to them enough from the other side to get them to gobble and strut, maybe even come close to the waters edge, but never fly back over to our side. seems like if they go to the neighbors, the rest of the day is shot. Anyway, I guess the real question is has anybody had much luck with full strut dekes later in the season?

• Like 1

Taking zero chance using a full strut deke. Private land or not. Turkey hunters are the worst trespassers their are.   Not liking the sounds of getting whacked with 1250 FPS #5’s.    We’ve heard 4 birds probably get whacked the first few days on perimeter we hunt of private land.  Another yesterday. Bird gobbles nearby and posted signs don’t mean squat.  Stopped using dsd Jake decoy as well. Yesterday with bird hung up at 75-80 yards would have been perfect to reap belly crawling to peer over little ridge   But don’t carry a fan as never going to do it. 

• Like 2

i'd agree with jpastor. I stopped using tom's a long time ago as I'm just not that good and they scare more birds away then they bring in. So unless you're trying to fill tag #2 with a rope dragger, i'd stay with a hen or 2. I might not even put my jake out next hunt.

• Like 1