Sterling Forest bear and deer hunting

slayer1962

I have not hunted NY state in 20 plus years because I moved down south. I just bought my deer and bear licenses and I have been reading about Sterling Forest and spoke to a couple guys who have hunted there. Any advice on a specific trail to follow or area to go to for bears? Obviously swamps and stuff but looking for more help. I live near west Milford NJ and would like something in the southern NY area

• 9 months later...

The permit cost $5. Permits have to be in by the end of September to gun hunt opening day. Several areas have antler restrictions in place. I believe all deer harvested have to be checked by the park staff. They provide a decent map that clearly shows what area is what. Some areas dint allow hunting at all and sine are bow only. They also have pick up points through out the interior portions which was designed to get the “road" hunters in deeper. They have seasonal parking spots. Which for the most part are for big game hunting. As far as Bears go. Not sure of the numbers but I'm sure there all over.

He is asking for the one that is close to Monroe NY, right off the truway. Always a lot of deer sign in the area, but not a lot of bears being taken. Best is call the local DEC agent to see how many or if any bear were taken.

If you are just looking for public land to hunt and you do not mind spending for a motel, check out the area near Norwich NY and the area is in North Pharsalia NY ( 7M), this is about 20 minute west of Norwich on route 23...7500 acreas of state land, lots of mixed hard wood and pine, rolling hills and lots of old apple trees. WIthin a 1/2 hour of this land there is two other pieces that have 7000 to 10, 000 acreas ...

yea the sterling forest near monroe is by permit only. also there is state land owned by the palisades park commission that owns all the stateland along Orange Turnpike runs from monroe Ny to tuxedo I believe that land you need to get a parking permit to park off the shoulder. I dont like to go there thou as opening day there are dozens of hunters parked off the road

Personally, with opening day being on Saturday now. I would only hunt sterling Tuesday-thursday for the first week and a half. It's just not worth it. I like to get in deep as well. As far as parking permits. No such thing that I ever heard of. State/local law dictates where you could park along Oc turnpike.

A buddy of mine missed out on a decent sized bear there when he was pushing on a deer drive last year. His gun jammed and never got a shot.

I would never go there to just sit, we only do deer drives during the late rifle season. If you are willing to do a decent amount of walking, there are some good spots there. There are always tons of guys there within 200 yards of the roads - it actually turns into a circus on weekends.

You do need a permit for Sterling Forest. After you fill out the application, you get a two piece card. One piece you break off and carry with you. I keep that in my tag holder. The other piece you place on the windshield of you car when you park.

Here is the actually application for a Sterling Forest hunting permit.

http://nysparks.com/parks/attachments/SterlingForestHuntingApplication2011.pdf

I've seen three bears there in the ~10 years I've been hunting there. One I got a shot at, but missed with the shotgun slug. One while I was spring turkey hunting and another one while deer hunting that I couldn't get a shot at.

There's really no way to know when or where they'll be.

As for the orange army - I don't have a problem with it. I get in deep so it's not that crowded and I just move if I come across someone. Personally, never had any safety concerns / close calls. It's just the price of hunting close to the city but I imagine it's one of the better places within the commuting counties due to the size and required permits.

• 1 year later...

I have seen more bears in Sterling in the last few years than up in the Catskills. Two springs ago while turkey hunting I saw a sow and two cubs, and I have two bears from earlier this fall on the trail cam. This season have seen claw marks on trees, and even had what I assume is a bear "taste" my tree stand. So they are there. I have not seen one where a shot was presented though. 

Sterling is not a bad place to hunt, but you need to find the "uncool" spots. There are a number of very popular spots that get a lot of pressure, but there are many spots where you won't see any other person all season. I hunt one spot that is not a far walk in, and in the last 4 years have seen one hunter, 2 hikers, and many deer (although none since bow season this year).

As many said, get your permits and display them in your car. They do patrol the many parking spots to check for these things.