QDM Guru's?

I third..

Ide like to know what works best in NY soil.

Most of the catskill area is very rocky.  How will we know what works best over here.

Anyone have anything to say about this ???

FYI:

This reminds me that the DEC has a program where they will sell you small baby trees and other forage that works well for wild life.

I actually had the papers' for it not long ago but if you search around on the web site im sure you can find it..

It wasnt even expensive, and they gave you directions..

I remember a big issue was letting the tree stem grow for a while and keeping them insulated from wildlife with these long plastic preferated tube shaped boxes.

Anyone workin a food plot should look into this..

For the past couple of years , I been taking a branch off a fig tree I have here in Brooklyn and trying to make it grow upstate. I think its just too cold, or maybe im just not doing it right ???

Anyone have any insight ??

Well all I can say is that I was going to take on my endeavor with just my quad and a few attachments, boy I would have been wrong and that would have been my worst mistake. So what I did do is went out and got myself a tractor, not that I knew it then but that has been one of my best investments. Not only does the tractor do my plots, but it keeps the driveway clear with the tons of snow we get. Even though my feilds may have been cultivated in the past, after I plowed and disked the two plots I took out about 20 buckets of rocks out with my loader.Something that would have taken forever (I literally mean forever) with my quad.A tractor just makes life alot easier.Also I cant stress enough that each piece of property is different and in my opinion if you dont get a soil test done and dont put into the ground what is needed then dont bother. Depending on the size of your plot, I wont lie in that its alot of work but I assure you you will sit in amazement when all things come together. Ask any question and I'll try to help to the best of my ability. Heres picture of tractor and me working on the turnip plot last year and then the results of that plot, unfortunatly turnips never got to big because contrary to what I have heard the deer devoured my turnips well before the first frost.

post-18-131455289157_thumb.jpg

post-18-131455289178_thumb.jpg

post-18-131455289197_thumb.jpg

post-18-131455289216_thumb.jpg

Its a Massey Feurgesson 1531- 33 HP Diesel, 4WD with loader, R4 industrial tires (rear tires loaded) and hydro transmission. That thing is a beast.....had tires 1/2 burried in muck...lock on the differential and she came right out. I was honestly amazed at what these machines can do, but you have to realize their limits.

A6A6: Too cold upstate, fig trees have no chance. I would be hard pressed to see if anyone is successful with fig trees upstate. They grow beautifully in Brooklyn, my dad has both the purple and large white ones and they are absolutely delicious.

ya, we have a purple one in my back yard here..

in the past few years, i cut soooo many branches and passed them out to friends and now they have beautiful trees of theyre own..

i want to try to do it again upstate..

i think if i plant one a little later or closer to end of may and wrap it up really good earlier in october, or late september, it may have a chance..

ahhh.. well see.

i think that would attract deer and lots lots of bear..

excellent food source from that tree alone

Google Earth View 2006 and 2009. Red x is where the photos above were taken. White x is stand site. Yellow x is where I shinnied up a 3" maple sapling, bent it over for a licking branch, and wired it to a tree so the bottom branches were 4' off the ground. Deer were working within the week in july and I've gotten many trail cam pics under it. Unfortunately 2 things happened after I sweated my butt off on this plot; 2 new houses were built 100-150yds sout of it, and my dad confiscated the plot from me because he lives closer. I arrowed a 166" 11pt there the year before I built the plot.

post-68-131455290007_thumb.jpg

post-68-131455290019_thumb.jpg