need advice.

newbreed

so after a good morning hunt my. i head back out for the after noon with my climber to go where i have been seeing deer all year. as im walking in i can see orange so i stop pick a tree and climb. a couple hours pass i have a little button buck at 30 yards to keep me from not getting bored. as the sun drops the little guy is still there. i dont wanna spook him knowing that other hunter is not to far away, it gets to be about 5:00 i decide its time to go the button buck still there. i unload my gun he spooks and heads off away from the other hunter....then BOOM.... its 5:08 now i know this because i had txt my dad. the guy next to me shoots. im thinking what eff is he doing i could barely see that little guy @ 30 yards 10 min ago. i wait in my climber scared to get down knowing there is a knuckle head close to me shooting. i hear something comeing its a deer walks right past me looking back. i hear something behind the der thinking its the guy going after the deer....its not its another deer. hopping along struggles to walk but comes right under me. i flash my light to see what it is...its a doe with its front right leg blown off so now im thinking im waiting up in the tree at this point its 5:17 (i know this cause i had txt my dad about there deer and saying i was scared to come down cause i didnt want to get shot by this guy thinking i was a deer) the doe lays down about 20 yards from me and im thinking to myslef im gonna wait till this guy comes looking then im gonna give me a pice of my mind...he never shows no flash lights nothing. so about 5:45 i climb down knowing the doe is still there. she does not move till i hit the ground and climb out of my climber then she hops off a few extra yards and lays down again. this whole situation upset me a bunch. knowing that guy shot way after legal light then specialy knowing he didnt even come looking for it. im in a tug if war with myself about if i should call the dec about this or just let it go and if i see that guy in the stand going and letting him know how i feel about him and his way of hunting. or even though it was WAY past light should i have attempetd to put the doe down and end her suffering.

Not to be a pessimist, but, while I agree with you that the other guy had no ethics, calling the DEC could potentially create problems for you also. The fact that you were still in your stand at 5:00, about 40 minutes after legal shooting light ended, may come into question. Personally, as was suggested, I think you should voice your opinion at the idiot that shot the doe. Also, as was mentioned, if the doe is still there, put it out, and tag it. Just my opinions, and certainly not meant to be negative.

Not to be a pessimist, but, while I agree with you that the other guy had no ethics, calling the DEC could potentially create problems for you also. The fact that you were still in your stand at 5:00, about 40 minutes after legal shooting light ended, may come into question. Personally, as was suggested, I think you should voice your opinion at the idiot that shot the doe. Also, as was mentioned, if the doe is still there, put it out, and tag it. Just my opinions, and certainly not meant to be negative.

@ 5PM he was only in his stand 16 minutes past legal hunting times, sunrise to sunset, sunset was at 4:44 today. I see where he was fearful to go down and get shot at by some idiot with a brown and down attitude. DEC isn't always the bad guy, but if he were to finish the doe off he does put himself into a grey area of getting in trouble. Just my two cents, either way the jackass shouldn't have been shooting that late.

Ya i don't get the "sitting in your stand 40 min after legal shooting" thing as being some sort of legal problem. What am i missing here. You can spend the night up there as far as i know.. I definetly would not have tried finishing that deer off. Sounds like he certainly shot a bit late but maybe he was waiting for you to climb out before he went to find his deer. Just a thought.

@ 5PM he was only in his stand 16 minutes past legal hunting times, sunrise to sunset, sunset was at 4:44 today. I see where he was fearful to go down and get shot at by some idiot with a brown and down attitude. DEC isn't always the bad guy, but if he were to finish the doe off he does put himself into a grey area of getting in trouble. Just my two cents, either way the jackass shouldn't have been shooting that late.

Actually, sunset, at least where I hunt, was at 4:32 PM, according to weather.com. That's still a 28 minute gap-at least here it is. He stated that the deer was not shot until after 5:00 PM. He stated that the gun shot was heard at 5:08 PM, while he was texting his father. This is not to imply that all DEC officers are one thing or the other. The point still stands, that the law is the law. I couldn't care less personally, but I know people who reported shots after dark, and they

Edited by 13BVET

Ya i don't get the "sitting in your stand 40 min after legal shooting" thing as being some sort of legal problem. What am i missing here. You can spend the night up there as far as i know.. I definetly would not have tried finishing that deer off. Sounds like he certainly shot a bit late but maybe he was waiting for you to climb out before he went to find his deer. Just a thought.

I've been stopped myself, coming out of the woods after dark by the DEC, and asked why I wasn't out at sunset. That's just my personal experience with it. I'm not being critical, as I really couldn't care less, one way or another. If you get a rookie, they can be real hard-asses.

13, i hear what your saying. I think what i would do is check in the morning and see if you find the deer dead. If so then tag it and call the DEC and tell them what happened. I'm sure they will issue you another tag and also be aware of this Johny shot lately fella and maybe they'll catch him next time but i wouldn't make a big deal out of it until then. Sounds like Newbreed was hunting public land or at the least, land that he didn't have exclusive rights to, so this is pretty much standard opening day stuff. Sucks to be around that kind of stuff but much more unscroupulous things went on today i'm sure.

5:00 is alot less than 40 mins. It was after 5 that I got out by the time I packed up and got down.