What is Going On?????

shooter

My brother read a report from some game biologist/scientist guy who said that the deer this year are in their winter coats but its too warm so they will stay bedded all day as the ground is cooler than the air. Makes sense, my firnds Golden digs a hole in the shade in summer and jumps in too cool off.

My brother read a report from some game biologist/scientist guy who said that the deer this year are in their winter coats but its too warm so they will stay bedded all day as the ground is cooler than the air. Makes sense, my firnds Golden digs a hole in the shade in summer and jumps in too cool off.

One of the wildlife guys at the DEC (reg. 9) said this as well. I'm sure it's one contributing factor.

Back then there was as many "No Doe Hunting" posters as "No Trespassing". That goes to show you what we were seeing happening to the herd.

I'm pretty young, but I remember the remnants of those signs even growing up in the 80s. Around here, they were usually round, metal, and said simply "No Doe Hunting".

So your area was over populated with deer back because you didn't shoot does... love to see the deer/ car accident numbers then... also like to see how many more homes are in the area compared to 1972... you're comparing apples to oranges... nothing is the same as it was 40 years ago... 50 deer in one funnel between 2 pastures sounds like way to many deer for that habitat.. they all must have been 50 lbs from lack of food

Nyantler I am suprised you are still trying to convince old-timers who are upset because they can't hunt in the exact same place every single season with the exact same results, especially when decades have passed and ecologies have changed.

Your mistake here is believing in science and common sense, 60* days all november just makes too much sense for these anecdote loving grumpy old men. Don't you know DEC & Scientifically collected statistics are a big consipiracy to kill all your deer!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, old guys (and not-so-old guys), maybe its your ATV you drive in to haul you and "drag" your trophy with, giving away your position before you get there.

Edited by 7J Everyday

...maybe its your ATV you drive in to haul you and "drag" your trophy with, giving away your position before you get there...

I could argue that one, the deer around my area couldn't care less about the noise, I see them feeding 30 yards from the busy road, walking behind my range targets while I'm shooting, they smelled and heard it all, I don't think it bothers them...

• Like 1

I could argue that one, the deer around my area couldn't care less about the noise, I see them feeding 30 yards from the busy road, walking behind my range targets while I'm shooting, they smelled and heard it all, I don't think it bothers them...

I don't take an ATV when I hunt, but yeah I agree. If deer are used to ATVs running around, they don't care at all. It all depends on how acclimatized they are to them.. when and where.

Step OFF of the ATV though, and it's a different story. Just like stepping out of a car.

I don't take an ATV when I hunt, but yeah I agree. If deer are used to ATVs running around, they don't care at all. It all depends on how acclimatized they are to them.. when and where.

Step OFF of the ATV though, and it's a different story. Just like stepping out of a car.

They may not spook by the sound (though when they are bedded down hard like they were all November I am sure it doesn't help).

I wonder, are you taking the time to keep your clothing scent free, and then stepping onto an open chassis vehicle using an exhaust coughing combustion engine?

But I am sure deer don't really use their noses at all. Next season I am gonna quit using scent eliminator and just pour gasoline all over myself before I get in the woods.

Edited by 7J Everyday

the truth is that the reason most hunters are not seeing deer is because of something they are or aren't doing. I had a fella say to me one time that he sat in his stand all season long and didn't see one deer... my reply was.. did it ever occur to you to maybe change your stand placement or get up and walk around a bit or maybe try hunting somewhere else? He looked at me like I was speaking a different language. If deer were entirely predictable.. every hunter would fill their tags each year..

yes deer hole up during certain times of the season.. then go looking for them!... they change their travel patterns... then change your stand location... stop blaming deer populations for your lack of seeing deer, that is not the problem... take a look in the mirror if you are looking for the problem.

Edited by nyantler

the truth is that the reason most hunters are not seeing deer is because of something they are or aren't doing. I had a fella say to me one time that he sat in his stand all season long and didn't see one deer... my reply was.. did it ever occur to you to maybe change your stand placement or get up and walk around a bit or maybe try hunting somewhere else? He looked at me like I was speaking a different language. If deer were entirely predictable.. ever hunter would fill their tags each year..

yes deer hole up during certain times of the season.. then go looking for them!... they change their travel patterns... then change your stand location... stop blaming deer populations for your lack of seeing deer, that is not the problem... take a look in the mirror if you are looking for the problem.

In the spirit of the season: Hallelujah