Tough last day yesterday

schroon87

Went out with a buddy yesterday for the last day. On the very first small push I put a nice 6 or 8 pointer by him and he misses. The deer stands there and allows him to take another shot and you guessed it strike two. Well sure enough he loads again and this time he hits it put far back and the animal took off. We backed out of the woods and let it set for 3 hours and then went back in. We found where he ht the deer and found little blood and a big piece of bone. We followed the little blood we could find and sure enough we found where he was bedded and there was probably a cup of blood in the bed and you could tell where the put his head down (horn marks in the ground). It got dark and we lost track of the blood, gonna go back in a few minutes with some guys and try and do a grid search. If we find the deer is it legal to remove it even though the season is closed? We are going in today with no firearms due to the season being over but was wondering what we should do if we do find the deer. I don't have much hope after the hard rain but maybe just maybe it will happen. It was definitely not the way I wanted to end the season.

If U find it, fill tag in, attach it and call the DEC for a heads up on the situation. Don't think I would move it until I asked if it's ok. Also write down names of people spoken to for further review if needed. Hey, a least he got shots on a nice muzzleloader buck. Hope U find it, good luck.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Well after 5 hours of searching and no new blood we ran out of light. We searched the whole property with 4 guys and not any sign of a injured deer at all. The property is pretty think so he could have been down and we didn't see him but I hope it was a shot he can survive. Hope it makes it till next season because he will be a beast. Time to clean all the guns and put the gear away for the year. Hope everybody had a good holiday

Season!