Public Land Tips and Tricks

fr0styk1ng

Hello,

This is my first time hunting in NY, I'm a college student at RPI from Texas. Super excited to get out there this weekend, I looked up public land available for deer hunting in Region 4 and found a couple WMAs, Partridge Run and Capital District looking like the best ones. I scouted both last week and heard some shots in the area when I was at Partridge Run in 4H. Anyone have any recommendations or any warnings about hunting these areas? I did only stand hunting with a feeder on private property back in Texas. I wished I could have put up trail cams to check the spots I found but I read somewhere that that was illegal to do on public land. 

Welcome in. I don't know anything about that area but I don't think it's illegal anywhere in NY to put up a trail cam on public land.  That being said it is a risk that someone may take them.  

Best advice I can offer is to go deeper than everyone else.  Get some grasp of the land before going in there. And if you find a spot go in early. 

58 minutes ago, fr0styk1ng said:

Hello,

This is my first time hunting in NY, I'm a college student at RPI from Texas. Super excited to get out there this weekend, I looked up public land available for deer hunting in Region 4 and found a couple WMAs, Partridge Run and Capital District looking like the best ones. I scouted both last week and heard some shots in the area when I was at Partridge Run in 4H. Anyone have any recommendations or any warnings about hunting these areas? I did only stand hunting with a feeder on private property back in Texas. I wished I could have put up trail cams to check the spots I found but I read somewhere that that was illegal to do on public land. 

Find escape routes towards thick cover.  That's where they are going to run to.

3 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Welcome in. I don't know anything about that area but I don't think it's illegal anywhere in NY to put up a trail cam on public land.  That being said it is a risk that someone may take them.  

Best advice I can offer is to go deeper than everyone else.  Get some grasp of the land before going in there. And if you find a spot go in early. 

So would you say its worth buying a trail cam? 

On 11/18/2020 at 1:03 AM, Swamp_bucks said:

It can be but put it up high. Put a bike lock on it.  I pull mine before gun just because theres more people in the woods so a higher chance it will be taken.

I ended up putting one along a travel corridor I found at partridge run. Saw two nice bucks. Set up along it today. Two groups of hunters walked right by us and my hunting buddy and I heard plenty of shots from the fawn lake side. No sightings here today though.