Who Wants to Antelope Hunt this Fall?

Uncle Nicky

I'm heading out to Wyoming (near Casper) this October 2-7 for antelope. I found an outfitter that's going to set up a drop camp on private land, so trespass fees are included. Right now, it's just me, the other guys who wanted to go dropped out. Could cost anywhere from $600-800 for 6 days, depending on how many guys go, we can butcher all kills there, only other expense would be licenses, food & drinks. We could possibly carpool and keep the costs down even more. Let me know if you're interested, the last date to apply for tags is March 15.

If we get more than 2 hunters, the camp is $800/ week/per person, more than 2, $700, more than 6, $600.

License- guaranteed draw around $500, take a chance & draw, around $300. Doe tags are $36, outfitter will let us shoot does.

Transportation and meals- if 2 people split the drive, and gas is $4, about $700.

So, could be as low as $1,650, if you buy 1 doe tag. as much as $2000. Not a drop in the bucket, but still pretty resonable for a full week of hunting out west. The camp is rustic, but comfortable- wall tents & propane heaters.

There aren't many things you can do with your clothes on that are much more fun than a pronghorn hunt.

The meat is also excellent, as long as you are very anal about meat care.. Those little critters need to be skinned immediately , quartered and put on ice within an hour of killing them..It's really not that hard to do if you are prepared for it.

Gut them and drive them around for a couple of hours in the bed of the pickup, and they will taste strong.

what exactly does that mean? and does the outfitter have a web or reviews?...Have you ever met them or used them?

Growalot- I've done trhis hunt 4 times before, but never with this outfitter. Here's his website:

http://thunderridgeoutfitter.com/antelope.htm

I've talked to him, seems like a heck of a nice guy. I don't know if you've ever hunted antelope in Wyoming, they're everywhere. The toughest part is trying to find private access and lodging this late in the game.

There aren't many things you can do with your clothes on that are much more fun than a pronghorn hunt.

The meat is also excellent, as long as you are very anal about meat care.. Those little critters need to be skinned immediately , quartered and put on ice within an hour of killing them..It's really not that hard to do if you are prepared for it.

Gut them and drive them around for a couple of hours in the bed of the pickup, and they will taste strong.

Agreed, a few days in ice water will get the sagey taste out of the meat.

Uncle Nicky ain't kiddin' when he says antelope are everywhere out there...

They outnumber people in Wyoming, and the area around Casper has most of anywhere in the state..

I have a story of a real nice hunt I did a couple years ago with my fiance and 3 other couples, but I don't want to hijack this thread, so I'll post it another time ..I'll just say that the four of us guys all got nice trophy pronghorns and the girls had a good time too.

I just think that Uncle Nicky's offer is a real good opportunity for someone to "get thier feet wet" in an out of state hunt for a reasonable price. The odds of being succesful on a Wyoming pronghorn hunt are VERY high. Nothing ( fair chase) is guaranteed, of course..

• Like 1

Thanks Pygmy. It's a real fun hunt, and can be as demanding or as easy as you want it to be, we've taken 10-year-old kids with us & they've filled their tags. The most important thing I would suggest to anyone who tries this hunt is to practice long-range shooting, the average shot is 150-200 yards. Pretty tough to sneak in on them any closer, their eyesight is incredible, they will make a turkey seem like Mr. Magoo. :taunt:

• 2 weeks later...