One lucky Yote II

Well, I went up to my friends house Friday PM to deliver his TM384 thermal and give him a tutorial on how to use it.

I stopped at my local range along the way, mounted the Thermion on my semi auto 35 Gunner, checked Zero at 50 and 100 yards, all set.

It was crappy weather outside when I arrived, so we decided to hunt Saturday night if the weather was better.

It was a little breezy, but I don't think any type of weather was going to stop him from getting some field time with his new toy.

After getting busted by a Yote on the first set because of the swirling wind, we decided to head down into the low lands and try our luck.

We got to our second set and didn't have to wait 5 seconds into the first call, before my friend says he see's something at the edge of the field.

I look over there and it's a freaking Yote, 60 yards away.

My friend didn't have his rifle loaded, so he racks a round and of course the Yote starts moving.

He's new to night hunting, so I give him a pass this time.

I start recording, stop it with a bark and the rest is history.

How my PIP was set a 6x is beyond me, but a miss is a miss x2.

To top it all off, I got a stove pipe after the second round fired.

A lot of cursing was going on after the 35 second mark, when I realized I had a jam.

I was going to take another shot as it stop's about 300 yards away to give us the Paw, but it was in the line of sight of the neighbors house up the hill.

Why did I change rifle's before this hunt ? I guess I was bored with the rifle that already dropped 8 Yotes this season so far.

On the way home Sunday I stopped at the range, mounted the thermion on the 20 practical and it was dead on from 50 to 200 yards.

Next time !!!!

We ended up seeing a coyote at each set and my friend is totally hooked on coyote hunting now.

Thermal is addictive.

Edited by Shoots100
  • Like 4

Yes sir and I led him to far to the right on the second shot too, video don't lie.

I was all discombobulated with the 6x blurry image and I actually tried to focus it before realizing it was on 6x.

We still had a very fun night and as you know, night hunting adds a whole new realm of hunting disciplines that need to be learned, like loading your rifle after getting to a set and NOT racking a round in the chamber while a coyote is standing 60 yards away !!!!

He got spoiled seeing so many yotes on his first real night hunt, just wish we could've dropped one.

He was so smitten with his thermal, he didn't record one second of footage the whole night.

In two weeks were going to try again.

Edited by Shoots100