Mail Out/In Trapping Course

SilentStalker

21 minutes ago, laker said:

Check this site out. Works great for bad weather. Author is amazing coyote trapper.

http://www.coyoteu.com/pipedream2.html

Pipe dream works well for keeping bait and scent up. Still the same issues with the traps in the ground though. We used it last year and this year with varying success. Google "portable pocket". I'll be going that way instead next year becasue it'll drive easier in our soils. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update - My certification came today. I won't buy a license this year since I would only try Fox/Yote/Bobcat anyway. Anyone have anything in writing about using a cell cam to count as a 24-hour trap check? would be helpful for next year if i try.

55 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Update - My certification came today. I won't buy a license this year since I would only try Fox/Yote/Bobcat anyway. Anyone have anything in writing about using a cell cam to count as a 24-hour trap check? would be helpful for next year if i try.

Congrats on your certificate but I highly doubt that you would be able to use a cell camera or drone to check your traps. A simple phone call to the DEC will answer your question one way or the other. Condolences to your Chiefs but glad your daughter will be okay. Kinda puts everything in perspective.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Water Rat said:

Congrats on your certificate but I highly doubt that you would be able to use a cell camera or drone to check your traps. A simple phone call to the DEC will answer your question one way or the other. Condolences to your Chiefs but glad your daughter will be okay. Kinda puts everything in perspective.

I've gotten differing interpretations on the section. Including Drones. 

My trapper course came in the mail too but I am no where close to being ready to trap so I’ll hold off for a bit.

I’m right on the cusp of it not paying off to add the lifetime trapper to my Super Sportsman...especially if I don’t find a mentor close by. Maybe [mention]Biz-R-OWorld [/mention]
Will take me under his wing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, crappyice said:

My trapper course came in the mail too but I am no where close to being ready to trap so I’ll hold off for a bit.

I’m right on the cusp of it not paying off to add the lifetime trapper to my Super Sportsman...especially if I don’t find a mentor close by. Maybe [mention]Biz-R-OWorld [/mention]
Will take me under his wing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe you guys will take a road trip. The NDA branch I am in is discussing predator trapping seminar as our summer education event. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I've gotten differing interpretations on the section. Including Drones. 

The reason why I don’t believe this will be applicable is due to the fact that cell cameras and drones could be prone to technical problems . That’s not an issue when you physically inspect your sets. Besides , you can learn a lot about what sign was left at your set whether you make a catch or not. I’m not sure you would see that via cell cameras and drones. I’d imagine it would be pretty expensive to have a cell cameras at every set you make. I would be interested to hear from the DEC about it. Maybe I’ll make a call tomorrow.

The reason why I don’t believe this will be applicable is due to the fact that cell cameras and drones could be prone to technical problems . That’s not an issue when you physically inspect your sets. Besides , you can learn a lot about what sign was left at your set whether you make a catch or not. I’m not sure you would see that via cell cameras and drones. I’d imagine it would be pretty expensive to have a cell cameras at every set you make. I would be interested to hear from the DEC about it. Maybe I’ll make a call tomorrow.

Please let us know what you hear. I’m envisioning just 1 set in front of my cell cam. I don’t have the interest to drive 30 min each way plus a 1/2 mile walk each day to check a single trap when the cell cam can do it for me. If legal, of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

15 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Please let us know what you hear. I’m envisioning just 1 set in front of my cell cam. I don’t have the interest to drive 30 min each way plus a 1/2 mile walk each day to check a single trap when the cell cam can do it for me. If legal, of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I called NYSDEC Region 3 this morning and spoke to an officer in the law enforcement division. I asked him about the legality of using drones and cell cameras instead of physically checking your traps once every 24 hours. He basically said that it was up to the officers discretion. He pointed out that drones and cell cameras weren't as reliable than being there. He also stated that drones would probably be okay when trapping in wide open fields but not so much in wooded areas. Another thing he stated that I didn't think of is what happens when your using drags on your traps ? The drones and cell cameras will show an empty trap when in fact the animal ran off and got tangled up somewhere. He also mentioned that it was more educational to inspect your traps daily. I then asked him if anything will be mentioned in this years syllabus about their use and he told me that it he would be bring it up at the internal monthly meetings the DEC holds. To each their own but I enjoy inspecting my sets daily and won't bother with drones or cell cameras. In closing , I wouldn't drive and walk that much either for a single trap but I would for a dozen or more. Good luck next year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Water Rat said:

I called NYSDEC Region 3 this morning and spoke to an officer in the law enforcement division. I asked him about the legality of using drones and cell cameras instead of physically checking your traps once every 24 hours. He basically said that it was up to the officers discretion. He pointed out that drones and cell cameras weren't as reliable than being there. He also stated that drones would probably be okay when trapping in wide open fields but not so much in wooded areas. Another thing he stated that I didn't think of is what happens when your using drags on your traps ? The drones and cell cameras will show an empty trap when in fact the animal ran off and got tangled up somewhere. He also mentioned that it was more educational to inspect your traps daily. I then asked him if anything will be mentioned in this years syllabus about their use and he told me that it he would be bring it up at the internal monthly meetings the DEC holds. To each their own but I enjoy inspecting my sets daily and won't bother with drones or cell cameras. In closing , I wouldn't drive and walk that much either for a single trap but I would for a dozen or more. Good luck next year.

I'm not at a position that I would be comfortable using drags. I sure understand their benefits but just not there yet in my head.  It's impractical in my book to look at an entire line but for an isolated trap or sets like we had out that were on property where we had to dance around those that deer hunted it is sure is nice to keep the human traffic down. 

19 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I'm not at a position that I would be comfortable using drags. I sure understand their benefits but just not there yet in my head.  It's impractical in my book to look at an entire line but for an isolated trap or sets like we had out that were on property where we had to dance around those that deer hunted it is sure is nice to keep the human traffic down. 

Keeping human traffic down is a big plus. I usually don’t start trapping until all the deer seasons are closed. The less people walking around the better but there always seems to be people out there. No matter how hard you try , you will leave scent at your set after you leave. To combat that , sometimes I will use my binoculars to see my sets rather than walking up to them. I only did this when I target canines. For the last few years I’ve only targeted bobcats which eliminates the need to be overly cautious about being scent free.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Water Rat said:

Thanks. Very helpful!