Oats and Wheat in Brassicas

We really reduced our time spent on plots this year. While fun and also helpful we had a goal of minimizing our time putting them in this year to free us up for other hunting related work.

We did this plot in about two hours mid August - we did disc this with equipment but then hand seeded limed and fertilized. We didn’t even spray this one. I’ll take the fall for the “gaps” in coverage but in my defense I was ready for a break in that weather. We will top it this week with a touch more triple 10 and some oats over seeding but compare it to some of the other plots we’ve done and I don’t get a perceivable difference in end result.

The oats and wheat have done a good job bringing in attraction now. I backed off the radish and turnip ratio a bit to hit this mix. Seems to be working. We do have a nearly 2 acre corn field off to the right of the frame we also put in. That was about four hours of work on a couple days and will serve as a food plot through the season. Plus another hour for fertilizing.

All in with all of our plots we likely have 15 hours in, in total. Much less than last year. None of them are as photogenic but I think they will be effective.

4B375D24-BD07-425A-8FF8-462AE95B861F.jpeg

Edited by phade
  • Like 9

5 hours ago, johnplav said:

I like this one: 

2356EFD8-F802-44B4-8339-C11B27BB1B06.jpeg

D763609A-8FBE-40A1-B980-3EFBF87BD26B.jpeg

The amount of weird racked bucks at this place is almost laughable. Either they fight with each other all summer or something is in the water. He had a matching side that was broken and hanging down. It fell off finally in the last week or two.

3 minutes ago, phade said:

The amount of weird racked bucks at this place is almost laughable. Either they fight with each other all summer or something is in the water. He had a matching side that was broken and hanging down. It fell off finally in the last week or two.

Weird racks add character!  

There comes a point in time where picture perfect food plots and food plots that just work come into play. Been there done that. Especially as life gets busier. No till and Min till help these years out tremendously. Lookin good sir. Hopefully we will be on the client list soon! lol  

• Like 1