.22-250 For Deer

PraiseDiana

The same argument could be made about recurve and longbows, or even compounds when crossbows are legal.  For some folks, deer hunting is “a sport” where it is mostly about “the challenge”.
For others, such as myself, it is mostly about gathering “free” meat.   I always look to use the most lethal, legal means available to help make that happen. The quicker the animal is dispatched, the less it suffers and the better the meat tastes.
I had a couple of .22/250’s, one for over 10 years.  I liked it so much, that I bought the second one.  Their primary jobs were killing woodchucks, but they also worked very well on foxes and coyotes.  What I liked best about them, was that they always put the bullet almost exactly where I wanted it to go.  I considered using one for deer, but backed off after a little research.   

I do miss my first .22/250 a bit (I traded it for my new “foul weather deer rifle” , a Remlin 336BL 30/30).   I will miss it a little less after I break that one in on a deer.  I no longer shoot at woodchucks from long range, and have been doing ok on them in close, with my Ruger 10/22.   

I would take a 22-250 over a 30-30 for a deer round any day. I’ve killed deer with both and have been nothing but disappointed in the performance of a 30-30 on deer. Have yet to have to track one of with my 22-250 or my 222 for that matter.

Less meat will be damaged with a monolithic .22 than the lead bullets you use in your 30-30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 5