Opening day dinner?

Swamp_bucks

So this is year number 2 for my opening day chili dinner.  It's already more than tripled in size from last year.   We had 12-15 last year and will almost be if everyone shows up we will be at 40 if not more this year.  Its so big we had to move it to our local American legion.  Their bar is open so they will make money on the beer sold plus renting it out to us.

My goal was to start a tradition for the people who lost their hunting traditions and make some for the kids coming up.  I've had people asking about it since August even people that I don't really associate with. 

A place people could tell their stories of the year and years past. Watching the older generation and the younger ones last year was my favorite part.  Giving us crap for needing all this gear when they used to do it in flannel and jeans.  Nobody bashed who shot what, what they used or their hunting tactics. Was there ball busting?  Of course because it has a deer camp atmosphere.  It was a place spouses laughed at the hunters for being excited like kids on Christmas eve.

So why this post?

Obviously not this year but next year if I chose an organization to donate to hunting related and gave some to my local legion.  Would people be interested in coming to it for $10 to enter?  It would be great to have a spot for hunters to come to.  I have plans to make it a chili cook off competition,get local companies to donate for raffles and more. Just let me know if it's something anyone would be interested in coming to?  It would be based out of my home town of Oxford. Which is 45mins north of Binghamton.

Thanks for reading.

• Like 3

What an awesome thing to do!  Very cool idea.  If it wasnt so far and the opening weekend of gun makes it tough to be out and then get up for the morn. 

Always done breakfast for the opening morn at my place for a couple of buddies. 

When we used to have a camp always did a get together there before the northern opener too. 

Gotta keep that going , sounds like a great time. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

So this is year number 2 for my opening day chili dinner.  It's already more than tripled in size from last year.   We had 12-15 last year and will almost be if everyone shows up we will be at 40 if not more this year.  Its so big we had to move it to our local American legion.  Their bar is open so they will make money on the beer sold plus renting it out to us.

My goal was to start a tradition for the people who lost their hunting traditions and make some for the kids coming up.  I've had people asking about it since August even people that I don't really associate with. 

A place people could tell their stories of the year and years past. Watching the older generation and the younger ones last year was my favorite part.  Giving us crap for needing all this gear when they used to do it in flannel and jeans.  Nobody bashed who shot what, what they used or their hunting tactics. Was there ball busting?  Of course because it has a deer camp atmosphere.  It was a place spouses laughed at the hunters for being excited like kids on Christmas eve.

So why this post?

Obviously not this year but next year if I chose an organization to donate to hunting related and gave some to my local legion.  Would people be interested in coming to it for $10 to enter?  It would be great to have a spot for hunters to come to.  I have plans to make it a chili cook off competition,get local companies to donate for raffles and more. Just let me know if it's something anyone would be interested in coming to?  It would be based out of my home town of Oxford. Which is 45mins north of Binghamton.

Thanks for reading.

I'm in I wonder if being a legionnaire if I could get the building for free for you. The American legion is a great organization the can get flyer and banners through Budweiser company and you can post them around it what we do for rabbit derby up here. I think it'd be a great get together and will be there this year and hopefully get the invite back next year to hunt and hang out.

• Like 1