Age this buck....

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2022 at 8:07 PM, Berniez said:

Who aged it? deerage.com?

Yes deerage.com.. Very easy to do I had an issue trying to pull the tooth so I sent in the tooth with a little jaw attached

that was smart. we send in both left and right center incisors in case the root on one of them gets damaged. we're sending them into Matson Lab though.

Edited by dbHunterNY
  • Like 1

that was smart. we send in both left and right center incisors in case the root on one of them gets damaged. we're sending them into Matson Lab though.

faf28bcbc2fd121f3b67b08231e19949.jpg

I send them like this to Deerage in their kit. How much is Matson and how fast? Got a link?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

14 hours ago, BizCT said:

faf28bcbc2fd121f3b67b08231e19949.jpg

I send them like this to Deerage in their kit. How much is Matson and how fast? Got a link?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

with covid they were backed up this past year or two. typically send them in before february and get them back in april before turkey season. it was into june with covid and a back log they had. cost varies and i'm not sure. with shipping and everything it's usually around $20 per deer but we're sending in dozens of teeth. $75 minimum fee that covers up to 4 deer. $15 per deer after. extra fee if you have them pull teeth, etc. same lab NY DEC and other state agencies use. i do like that they give you a letter grade based on confidence and the sample quality. i don't think deerage does that. we get an excel spreadsheet. if few enough animals you'll get a print out summary. https://matsonslab.com/

...edit that plastic bag makes me cringe with what i've dealt with. let them air dry and then you're mailing them in individual paper envelopes and then a larger one. plastic makes this stuff stink and rot. jawbones even rolled up in grocery bags left at our qdm check station make for an adventure that sucks.

Edited by dbHunterNY

52 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

with covid they were backed up this past year or two. typically send them in before february and get them back in april before turkey season. it was into june with covid and a back log they had. cost varies and i'm not sure. with shipping and everything it's usually around $20 per deer but we're sending in dozens of teeth. $75 minimum fee that covers up to 4 deer. $15 per deer after. extra fee if you have them pull teeth, etc. same lab NY DEC and other state agencies use. i do like that they give you a letter grade based on confidence and the sample quality. i don't think deerage does that. we get an excel spreadsheet. if few enough animals you'll get a print out summary. https://matsonslab.com/

...edit that plastic bag makes me cringe with what i've dealt with. let them air dry and then you're mailing them in individual paper envelopes and then a larger one. plastic makes this stuff stink and rot. jawbones even rolled up in grocery bags left at our qdm check station make for an adventure that sucks.

Thanks. Just to clarify, that plastic was only to get the teeth home and into fridge with some salt. The deerage kit is paper bags/envelopes like you mentioned. I send them to deerage within a week of a kill and get results in 7 days after deerage receives them. But theres a cheaper 90-day option i haven't use because I have no patience lol

Edited by BizCT

On 9/14/2022 at 1:16 PM, BizCT said:

Thanks. Just to clarify, that plastic was only to get the teeth home and into fridge with some salt. The deerage kit is paper bags/envelopes like you mentioned. I send them to deerage within a week of a kill and get results in 7 days after deerage receives them. But theres a cheaper 90-day option i haven't use because I have no patience lol

yea we don't mind the wait. normally we have a really good idea of exact age or a specific direction older or younger by a year. not much for surprises that we didn't already to some extent expect to see for results. it's really invaluable to back check what we're doing though. plus to me the confidence letter grade related to how good the sample tooth/teeth were is important. rare occasion bucks come back for different reasons with a poor letter grade so you know the CA lab results wouldn't then be what trumps all other info you have to go by. 

• Like 1