Quick Squirrel Hunt

After seeing TenXTimmy's post about his wife"s first Buck (a beauty I might add) and that 270 CZ Mannlicher, I reminded myself that I needed to break in on game the little CZ 22 rifle with a Mannlicher stock on some game. I did a bit of a write up on it back last summer when I bought it and she lays them in there pretty good. So today before I did my chores here at "Green Acres" I got myself in the woods early for a quick Squirrel hunt. Windy here today and the Squirrels were sitting tight, did some still hunting and finally spotted a Squirrel half way up a big pine about forty yards away, an easy shot was made but that was it for the day as I had work to do.  I like eating Squirrel a ot and after I get a couple of more I will probably make a stew.

This is my most favorite time of the year as small game hunting will be in full swing for me, it is all about action and actually getting to use my equipment for more that one anti climatic shot that I feel when deer hunting. I like pulling the trigger.;)

2021-12-13_120737.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 10

21 hours ago, rachunter said:

I’m having the hardest time finding a place to squirrel hunt up here in the ADK. All I see are the little red ones.

This year has not been the greatest for Squirrels or Deer in my area. I hunted yesterday and did not see a single Squirrel. Now that the Deer hunting is over and getting just a bit of snow on the ground I will be hunting with one of my Airedales which should increase my success a bit.

It is all about finding their food source and around my place it has always been Beechnuts, "Beech tree stands", and Acorns, Oak tree stands. Also white pine groves can be decent  for Squirrels as they like the pine nuts in the cones. My hunting area was devastated by the Gypsy Moth Caterpillars, the trees I listed happen to be the caterpiller's  favorites so mast crops are slim and far between. Standing cornfields on forest edges have always been a hot spot for me. 

Al

• Like 1