Best scope and rings and mount for 94ae

My guess is for the mount it will boil down to what you can find. Not a lot of demand for 94 mounts ever, less as years go by.  The 30-30 performance arc really is best optimized out to about 100 yards...not that they havent been used further, and especially as the woods gun they were designed for, no great magnifiction needed. My favorite scope magnifiction for the woods is 1.5 -5. I am very partial to the Leupold 1.5 x 5 vx3. It is as good as it gets for early and last light.  I know guys who love a fixed 2.5 or four power.

2 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

My guess is for the mount it will boil down to what you can find. Not a lot of demand for 94 mounts ever, less as years go by.  The 30-30 performance arc really is best optimized out to about 100 yards...not that they havent been used further, and especially as the woods gun they were designed for, no great magnifiction needed. My favorite scope magnifiction for the woods is 1.5 -5. I am very partial to the Leupold 1.5 x 5 vx3. It is as good as it gets for early and last light.  I know guys who love a fixed 2.5 or four power.

What size objective ? 30 mm ?

I do not have a model 94 Winchester but I do have a couple of model 94 Marlins and a model 95 Marlin that have scopes mounted on them. The two 94s one a 357 mag and the other a 44 mag I use early season in the woods when ranges are fairly short. The 95 is a 45-70 that has much more range potential but I still use it as a shorter  range woods Deer rifle. What I want first and foremost is reliability, IE recoil and fog proof, along with good optical quality along with compact dimensions, light weight and a big wide field of view. High powered magnification  is something I do not need for big game and most of my dedicated Deer rifles (And Shotgun) have lower powered scopes, mostly Leupolds in 2.5X, 3X, 1X4X, 1X5. I have become especially fond of the little Leupold 2.5X ultralight on my light weight Deer rifles, everything balances out nicely. 

Even the little 250 Savage 99A below  which can reach out pretty far, I still went with a 1X5 compact because I am hunting Deer with it, at 5X I can still make a good shot on a Deer size animal out to it's maximum range. Now if there were still Woodchucks around in huntable numbers that Savage would be wearing a 3X9 Compact.

By the way all these type-style scopes have a 20 mm objective front lenses and have never cost me a deer because of it even in lower light conditions. 

Weaver style bases should still be able to be found for your Winchester and everyone makes rings to go with those style bases, I would advise to buy something with good quality.

Al

2022-01-05_162904.png

2019-05-01_191730.png

2019-11-09_044718.png

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, airedale said:

I do not have a model 94 Winchester but I do have a couple of model 94 Marlins and a model 95 Marlin that have scopes mounted on them. The two 94s one a 357 mag and the other a 44 mag I use early season in the woods when ranges are fairly short. The 95 is a 45-70 that has much more range potential but I still use it as a shorter  range woods Deer rifle. What I want first and foremost is reliability, IE recoil and fog proof, along with good optical quality along with compact dimensions, light weight and a big wide field of view. High powered magnification  is something I do not need for big game and most of my dedicated Deer rifles (And Shotgun) have lower powered scopes, mostly Leupolds in 2.5X, 3X, 1X4X, 1X5. I have become especially fond of the little Leupold 2.5X ultralight on my light weight Deer rifles, everything balances out nicely. 

Even the little 250 Savage 99A below  which can reach out pretty far, I still went with a 1X5 compact because I am hunting Deer with it, at 5X I can still make a good shot on a Deer size animal out to it's maximum range. Now if there were still Woodchucks around in huntable numbers that Savage would be wearing a 3X9 Compact.

By the way all these type-style scopes have a 20 mm objective front lenses and have never cost me a deer because of it even in lower light conditions. 

Weaver style bases should still be able to be found for your Winchester and everyone makes rings to go with those style bases, I would advise to buy something with good quality.

Al

2022-01-05_162904.png

2019-05-01_191730.png

2019-11-09_044718.png

Yea I can find Weaver and Leupold ..

The Leupold takes a special ring