Parlor Gun

A couple of years ago while at the Syracuse gun show I came across and interesting firearm, a Flobert parlor gun. A couple of pics below of Floberts. Back before Nintendos, Gameboys and other assorted video game consoles for indoor entertainment folks actually set up shooting galleries in a room in their homes. The firearms they used were called Parlor guns which fired a pellet from a cartridge using just primer compound at very low velocities.

No longer manufactured  for many years these old firearms are collector pieces these days. I found the concept and idea interesting so I decided to see what I could come up with to duplicate a parlor gun. 

A plain BB air rifle or pistol would work but did not have the fine accuracy I wanted. I looked into PCP air  guns and found what for me a perfect choice, the Benjamin Marauder P-rod. I am familiar with Benjamin air guns as I have a full size Marauder 25 cal rifle which is surprisingly accurate, I have hunted with it and have taken several Squirrels, but a bit much to be firing in my house. The P-Rod is a combo pistol and rifle as it has an easily attached shoulder stock conversion, and most importantly the powder can be kept down low for indoor shooting. At the ranges it is shot the accuracy is great, out to 25 yards it will shoot ragged holes and if pumped up to full power has plenty of pop for Squirrels-Rats-Chipmunks etc. if hunting was desired.

While I do not have a "Parlor" I have a long hall to my back door from my kitchen table where I have a well made bullet trap on a stand to catch pellets, a lot of fun can be had on a cold winter day.

Al

2021-08-11_163134.png

2021-08-23_153501.png

2021-12-01_152258.png

2021-12-01_152426.png

• Like 5

Looks like fun.  I have a Beeman PCP rife, and its suprisingly accurate with the right pellet.   Every so often I set up a homemade pellet trap in the garage, and plink with the Red Ryder or CO2 pistols.  PCP is a bit much for indoors as you also stated.  Being in the burbs also puts a kibosh on back yard plinking.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, loworange88 said:

I have a Beeman PCP rife, and its suprisingly accurate with the right pellet.  

I too am amazed at the accuracy of these pcp guns and the power also, real tight groups with the JSB exact pellets. I still use a hand pump to charge which works ok for the P-Rod but the 25 cal M-Rod gives me a workout. The other downside to the M-Rod it is big and heavy and a bit too powerful in the house. I am seriously considering a compressor now that they have become somewhat affordable.

Those hostage targets are a blast.

Al

001.thumb.JPG.edb409e291be999dcba967bf2dc5390e.jpg

2022-03-11_142320.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2