Lake Ontario, small boat salmon fishing.

nygooseduster26

Well, thinkin i'll be headin up for my maiden voyage to Lake Ontario with my new boat memorial day weekend. Heres the catch. I'm 18, my new boat is my first boat i've ever owned. It is a 12' Misty Harbor and it came with a 1967 10 HP Johnson Sea Horse and an electric trolling motor. I bought a manual downrigger to mount off the back of it. I have all the rods etc that i need. Motor hasnt been ran in 9 years and the last time it was ran it was when it was tuned by my grandfather (who is a boat genius). Think i'm gonna try to catch some salmon and browns. Settin up the boat this sunday for the trip. Any tips or advice for salmon fishin out of a small boat??? Plan on running 2 dipsy rods and one downrigger. Just my best friend and i. thinkin of takin a couple seth green rigs and maybe trying in towards shore a little closer too. will be up there Sunday and Monday next wknd.

I use to work at the light house in port ontario. Best advice is to ask the local fishing store. Also check the weather,have your life vests on,and be safe. Not sure if a small boat will be sufficient to get salmon. May be way out and deep. Just ask first. You can also go into the mouth and fish as well. Let me know how you do.

Well first thing I would do is get the motor running. After 9 years its very likely the impeller is dry-rotted and the carb needs cleaning. The last thing you need is to have a motor overheat while your out a ways. Make SURE its pumping water. If it was me I'd take a day just to fool around with the motor and make sure everything's proper. You don't want to be out there and find out your motors not 100 percent so you have to paddle in. Even those 12 footers suck to paddle. Lastly honestly I personally have never fished Ontario but my buddies often troll very close to shore for browns.

I'm ten minutes from Seneca lake so i intend to test it. have a trolling motor for it too but i'd rather keep the big motor running. Not sure how far i dare go out. i've been to the 34 line which is over an hour full speed in a big grady white. i'm thinkin stay within view of shore for sure.

Edited by nygooseduster26

I like the idea about getting the boat running tip top shape before you head out. Weather is a big thing to watch. The weather can change really quick and can make for a crazy trip back. I have had many crazy trips back.. because of me being young + dumb and listneing to my buddies. Good luck and let us know how you make out!

I fished that big water quite a few years with a 26' Cruiser.....she gets a bug up her back side real fast.You best make sure all runs 110% and you have all safety gear readily handy. It could be 85 and sunny and still have a small craft warning. I had water crash on my windshield more than once on the big boat...6 to 8 footers. Please be careful. Also,finding a cove out of the wind helped save some fishing days.Maps,and local tackle shop people are a big help as well as a weather radio. Good luck and hope you have great time! Be safe first.

Gooseduster,

I have fished Lake Ontario quite often during the last 6 years. While I routinely fished the finger lakes in smaller boats, I waited until I was able to get a bigger boat (currently a 20 foot starcraft) before fishing Lake Ontario. There's a big difference. That lake can get as rough as the Ocean in mighty short order. Those wind and waves will get your adrenaline going. In a 12 footer you are also susceptable to capsizing due to wakes of the larger boats and ocean going ships which will not and often cannot alter course to avoid putting you in their wake. Any wind over 12 or 13 mph will make it difficult to control a small boat even close to shore ounless the wind is coming from the shore. So I would think twice about going beyond the breakwater in all but the most calm conditions. Keep your life jacket on at all times even in the best of conditions.

Edited by adkbuck

Where is that? I was sure there was a distance out requirement before you needed one

I thought so to. Even in the hudson river you need one. This what my friend is telling me based on his brother being a boater and inspected.

I have been inspected by sheriffs dept and Dec on both LO and Oneida and not once did any of them ask If I had a Radio on board. I was asked if I had an ship to shore communication once and I showed them my cell phone and they were happy with that. Not saying its law or not if you need a radio but I have never heard or been asked to see mine and its not visible as its in a cabinet.

Edited by wdswtr

Regarding the Seth Green rigs...I wouldn't advise it unless you want to spend the bucks to replace terminal tackle, spoons, etc..

I have never tried it, but some of my buddies did when the salmon fishing first developed on Ontario.

They all said the same thing...As soon as you hook your first big king on it, you'll wish you DIDN'T.... I guess those freight trains make a shambles of a multi-spoon rig in a hurry..

Another issue would be , if you were lucky enough to get him close enough so you have a couple leaders in the boat and he decides to take another 100 yard run... Imagine having a hook buried in your hand with a 25 pound king on the other end of the line... :fie: ......

• 2 months later...