Well pump not working.

ny hunter

If your pump is in the well itself than wouldnt the check valve be located right before the pressure tank? Thats atleast how its done around this neck of the world. Look for a brass piece connected between the black water pipe near the pressure tank. Its not uncommon for one to freeze up and split losing your pressure in the tank

Submersible pump, check valve before the pressure tank

shallow well pump foot valve (check valve) on the end of the water line in the well itself..

Edited by wdswtr

A question that has not been answered yet ( I think ) is - can you hear water running after the well pump runs and fills the tank with pressure? If you do, then it is probably the water running back into the well = check valve malfunction.

I do not hear any water running.The pump goes on I do get water and then nothing,when the pressure gets low the pump should kick on but it is not.the water well go down to a trickle and the pump kicks on but again only for a few seconds.This pumpalator or what ever is right before the pressure gauge.When I removed no air or water came out.

I do not hear any water running.The pump goes on I do get water and then nothing,when the pressure gets low the pump should kick on but it is not.the water well go down to a trickle and the pump kicks on but again only for a few seconds.This pumpalator or what ever is right before the pressure gauge.When I removed no air or water came out.

Hmmm...OK, so you can't hear the water running back. Maybe, just mabye it is running back but through the pumps check valve? Did you ever fix the burnt contacts? If there is a pressure gauge on the tank does it also go up when the pump runs and then down after it stops?

So it still seems either you have a defective check valve. I did read that sometimes there are two, one inside the pump and one right before the storage tank. If not the check valve, then it has to be a leak in the bladder inside the tank. Checking the bladder could be easy.

If the the bladder was bad would'nt we not be able to build up pressure?

Well, generally yes, But it would also depend on the size of the hole or tear. I would think that as the pressure increases, the hole or tear would get larger. I put my money on a defective check valve. LOL

If it is off, I guess you could try hooking a garden hose on the exite end and see if the water still flows. If there is only a trickle coming out the other end, then more than likely the valve is defective. What do you think?

Well, (no pun intended), the spring could be part of the check valve, but why are there the two contacts? The only thing I can think of is that the unit you call the "Pumulator" is a device that senses pressure. When it is at the upper limit and the lower limit, the units two contacts go into action. Does that make sense?

First photo is a pressure regulator switch. This turns the pump on when pressure is low and off when its high

Second photo is a check valve. It stops water from draining back into the well and allows you to hold pressure in your tank

Third picture is a foot valve. It does the same as a check vavle but is before a shallow well pump that is not located in the well to allow the pump not to loose prime.

After reading all of this I am thinking regardless if your tank bladder has a leak in the bladder you should still be holding water and when the pressure regulator switch calsl for the pump to turn on it should fill up but what will happen is the pump will have to cycle more often in order to maintain the pressure in the tank. I do not see how it is possible for you to have a foot valve if your pump is located in the well, (jet pump) Its a pain in the arse but to find out if you have a bad check valve you can do as defrazzle said or fill your holding tank up with the pump and disconnect the water line between the check valve and pump and see if it is allowing water to flow backwords, To see if your pressure regulator switch is functioning just run your water and watch to see if the contacts switch back and forth. IF it doesnt its bad if it does cycle meter the contacts and see if its passing voltage, if it is not your switch is bad, if it is your pump is bad. What I actually think is wrong is your inpellar on your pump is bad, My guess is when you have low or no pressure the pump can handle filling the tank up for a bit until the inpellar can not keep up with the higher pressure levels and just does not spin on the pump shaft.

post-1162-0-63061600-1339127797.jpg

post-1162-0-65716400-1339127814_thumb.jp

post-1162-0-40935900-1339127842.jpg

Edited by wdswtr

First photo is a pressure regulator switch. This turns the pump on when pressure is low and off when its high

Second photo is a check valve. It stops water from draining back into the well and allows you to hold pressure in your tank

Third picture is a foot valve. It does the same as a check vavle but is before a shallow well pump that is not located in the well to allow the pump not to loose prime.......

Excellent points and pictures make it very clear. Still waiting with baited breath to see what the fix will be. :mole:

Well now,the pumpulator is the regulator or looks like it anyway,thanks for the photos.I am gonna try and run up Saturday afternoon.Thanks so much for the help hope I get it up and running update as soon as I get home good or bad.....

This has me confuzzeled?

WDSWTR: I do not see how it is possible for you to have a foot valve if your pump is located in the well, (jet pump) Its a pain in the arse but to find out if you have a bad check valve you can do as defrazzle said or fill your holding tank up with the pump and .....

I have a jet pump(above ground in my basement) in my house....it has a foot valve 100' + on the bottom. Maybe I misread your statement.