Well pump not working.

ny hunter

Describe the problem more clearly: You say the pump goes on and off...so what? Does your water pressure build up? Does the the pump start and stop...and start and stop, repeatedly and often? We need a clearer description of what is going on.

Sorry, no pressure build up whats so ever,I get water for a few seconds and then nothing.The breaker is not tripping,so I don't have an electrical problem.When we turned the water on a couple of weeks ago it was ok,last week no water,today same thing.

First thing I'd check would be the foot valve. Sounds like you're loosing prime through a broken line or faulty foot valve.

I second that notion. I have a shallow well,about 110 here at the house and a jet pump.Had same trouble.Changed foot valve and jet,all good to go.Also,after you get the prime back,depending on your holding tank,be sure to air it up if possible,or it will come on and off irregularly.

Pressure tank could be water-logged. If it is a bladderless model...open the air valve and drain the tank; close the air valve and turn the pump back on. If it is a bladder model...could be a ruptured bladder...time for a new tank.

Early is right on the money. I had it backwards in my first post. Not enough air in the tank, waterlogged. Drain water from the tank to introduce air in the top. Some systems have an air valve in the top of the tank to add air. Be sure to drain water first. Happens to my parents system sometimes. If system wasn't primmed, pump would run all the time without shutting off.

It could also be the electro-mechanical valve which controls the on and off pressure. A simple test would be:

Turn off the power breaker; In the valve, turn the "off" pressure adjustment nut to turn off at a higher pressure (check your unit whether to turn clockwise or counterclockwise); Turn on the power breaker and see if the water flows for a longer time. If so, you definately have a "high pressure" problem. On mine it was a iron deposits that got into the pressure side of the switch and the switch though the tank was full. I took off all the fitting, cleaned them all well, removed the iron deposits, re-assembled and lo and behold, my tank filled up. Good Luck!

I have a bladder tank at the house.1 time in ten years had to "air" it up.That was because the foot valve was leaking back.Turning your pump off and draining your tank,then filling it back up will put the needed "air" space into your tank.But if you have a tank that has an air valve,you can drain it,air it to the manufac. specs,mine is about 12lbs IIRC, then fill it up.If you have the problem again,check for air and water leaks at the pump and concider replacing the foot valve and if you go that far,you may as well change the jet if it is a jet pump etc. I don't know if a leaking bladder would cause your problem,because I have not encountered that yet.When you finally did get primed,did you notice any loss on the pressure gauge? Could be water logged?

What did you find out,we gotta know!

Will patiently wait for Sunday!

Edited by Single_shot

Well I drained the tank and all water,Then filled up with about 50 pounds of pressure,same thing happens.I was gonna pack it in for the day when pump kicks on again but it did not sound right.I took the pumpalator apart and found a burnt contactor inside.There are 2 contactors and it seems only 1 is working so I think I found the problem.I hope so anyway well pick one up this week and go try on Saturday.I well keep posting as i go and Thanks for all the help.

I took the pumpalator apart and found a burnt contactor inside.There are 2 contactors and it seems only 1 is working so I think I found the problem.

Is the "pumpalator" the unit that turns on and off the pump? So the contact that is burnt myst be the one that turns the pump on?