Long time poster, finally did a into...

NFA-ADK

I read thier book Big Bucks The Benoit Way, great book. I am kind of pissed every time they have a seminar it's almost at the canadian border or I can not make it due to other obligations. Other seminar's I tried to get to seem to always confict with something. I am determined to make it to one this year and they are my number 1 pick. They are true legends in the sport.

So many knowlegable people to draw on. Benoits (Basicaly the entire family), Salerno family, Charles Alsheimer, Jim Massett and countless others who are willing to share the knowledge aquired over many many years. They are true masters of hunting and thier wisdom, dedication and knowledge is vast and best part is they are willing to share!!!

You are going to make me buy some video's now!!! I have 2 gift cards for 50 $ each I have been holding onto for a while now, was debating a water purifier but I think I will get that local and do some DVD shoping. Fun fun fun!

WOW I am starting to get sighed for deer season already... Time to think about a scouting trip! After I order some DVD's...

With the exception of 2010 all my other ADK buck encounters were always in snow. Excesive rain allowed some tracking in 2010 which was my lucky ticket to success. I love snow!!! Following a bucks trail is one of the most amazing and revieling things I have ever done while hunting!

Tracking one showed me:

1) He was a buck: After about a mile on his trail (Wide stance, drag marks in snow) I found a rub encircled by bushes to thick to see out of and hard to know is thier. (nice bed/hiding spot)

2)He found the doe: When he came out of that spot he connected with at least 3 doe and they all took off. I stayed in that spot till dark convinced it was the place to be.

3) Do not wait for anyone when you get onto a track like that: I missed this deer due to getting to the spot late waiting for friends and it cost me the deer. Fogged scope!!! Plus none of them were able to keep up, I lost them one by one and it was less than a mile hike although not a easy one(no trail, dark)... I stayed in that spot till dark and upon exiting explain to my hunting partners that this was the spot to be in yet none of them were able to get up in time or make it to the spot with me...

4)Now when I find a spot like that I just get up early and go in.

2010 Nov 9th I was up at 3:30 am and in the woods before first light. (Largest buck tracks I had ever seen in my life found the day before and I explained to all at camp. I set up a drive that would have us on this buck, I think...) Did not get the deer till almost 12 noon yet I did not have to rush into the area where the tracks were because I was in the area since first light... I bitched at the camp before I went that morning. I stated something like this:

"You all talk about hunting all year, now hear you are in the middle of the Adirondacks during prime rut and what are you doing? SLEEPING You guys suck..."

I hear 5 guys moan and groan and head out... My last words should have been "I am going to go get my buck" but that would have jinxed me like before... That's another story...

• 2 weeks later...
I stated something like this:

"You all talk about hunting all year, now hear you are in the middle of the Adirondacks during prime rut and what are you doing? SLEEPING You guys suck..."

I hear 5 guys moan and groan and head out... My last words should have been "I am going to go get my buck" but that would have jinxed me like before... That's another story...

Yup...I know what you mean. I once joined a hunting club up here and they had a large lease. I helped build the cabin and bunk house,but as soon as hunting season opened,most of the members were more interested in drinking, playing cards and just getting away from their day to day life at home. Getting anyone up before daylight was a joke. So, this prompted me in finding and buying my own place. Now I have it all, 100,000+ acres at my doorstep, good fishing at the end of my road (Moosepond, St.Armand) and I get up and go out before daybreak!! No more waiting on others to to join me, unless I invite them!

• Like 1

Hey NFA-ADK - did U ever get those Benoit's videos?

I have to send in a check for it, apparently they have no credit card service. (And I have no checking account) So much for using the 50$ gift cards... I will probaly send them a e-mail as I would like additional books if they have some in addition to the video's... The web site only shows thier video link and instructions on how to order through mail. So I need to send a request to them for further information... Any info you have is appreciated!!!

http://www.benoitsbigbucks.com/index.html

O wait that was the Salerno Brothers, Arg, I get into so many differant big game trackers I mix them up sometimes... I will order them tonight when I get home and can use the gift cards... Looks like the 5 video's and the book are a good deal and I can give the book to a friend as a gift because I already have that book...

Thanks for the offer Larry302!!! Not sure I would need the dmaps as I am very particular in what I shoot. Although back straps have started to tickle my tast buds, WOW they are good! The offer is greatly appreciated!!!!!!! I usually like to hunt from the ground unless needed. Watch it I might take you up on that offer, I do not usually turn down hunting opportunities!!!

So I get home after a long day ready to order some DVD's and go out to dinner with family. I find my brother is trimming my hedges as I get home and the going out for dinner with the rest of the family is out the door as I end up working till dark to finish cleaning the yard. I repaired his computer so he was returning the favor due to a broken edger that I need to replace the carb on. Needless to say I did not get to ordering anything as I just passed out after a long shower and frozen pizza at 11pm.

So today I get into work with my 2 pre-paid 50$ gift cards ready to order. Only thing is the Benoit web site does not take American Express, so much for using the gift cards... Figure I will get a purifier with them. I could not resist and used a regular credit card to finish the transaction! Five dvd's on the way,YES!!!

Defrazzle, what kind of camera is that you are using?

Upstaterifle - if you are asking about my trail camera, it is a Moultrie, older model, LED lights takes 8 D cells. I forget exactely what model it is. If you are asking about the picture of my camp, that was taken with a Panasonic DMC-FH20 - great little pocket camera with 14 MEGA PIX and 8x zoom.