Very much a newbi with questions

OK... I hunt on a 800 acre farm.. Farmer plants corn, soy bean and Sunflowers... There are a few spots that I know I could do some small food plots 1/4 or less, wondering one if it is worth it... Two... What to plant for hunting over... The crops are usually cut by mid to late October.. So trying to put something out that will keep them coming to specific areas... ANY help will do... Going to be done with hand equipment only... maybe a tiller but most likely just scratching the surface... Also, when should I put them in??

Hey Split...

Quick question for you... I have on plot left to plant on a little less than a 1/4 acre and I am going back and forth on either planting brassica or turnips. Which would you plant and why if you don't mind me asking??? I already have about an acre of corn broken up in three different spots and a little less than 1/4 acre of no-plow planted. I also have apple trees spread out on about 6 acres.

Thanks

Thanks.... The two spots though are not able to get farm equipment into.... So thinking I need to Roundup the area.. then maybe burn them,..... Lime it and then plant.... Any thought to planting a mix of plants?? early, mid and late season attractants?? If so.. your recomendation????

Griz, brassica and rape is a great late season draw. It will also help build up the organic matter in soil. Winter rye(cereal rye) is also a good draw. It will grow on anything, good weed suppressor and will be the first to green up in spring.

Hey Split...

Quick question for you... I have on plot left to plant on a little less than a 1/4 acre and I am going back and forth on either planting brassica or turnips. Which would you plant and why if you don't mind me asking??? I already have about an acre of corn broken up in three different spots and a little less than 1/4 acre of no-plow planted. I also have apple trees spread out on about 6 acres.

Thanks

i would go with the turnips if your looking to draw them in late season after all the crops have been taken out and the snow is on the ground... when you get a good freeze the sugar content in the turnips increases and the deer love em.... also takes them longer to wipe out as opposed to a clover or brassica especially on a plot as small as a quarter acre....

Going by the 1st post, your going to be competing with corn, beans, & sunflowers till end of Oct or more depending on scraps. Tough one. Sounds a bit like going bass fishing with rubber lures when the guy next to you has live crayfish.

Imho concentrate your efforts of shooting lanes and stand work. If you got time, maybe clear a spot for some cold climate spot jazz, or as an alternate, if your going to be there for years to come how about planting some dwarf/crab apple trees?

• 2 weeks later...

Griz. Not sure if you decided to move forward with those small plots but this would be my recomendation. If you can get the ground worked to the point where you can get simple soil to seed contact, then you can have a successful plot.. I would use either Secret Spot or No Plow. Both are almost fool proof when it comes to getting them to grow, especially if they recieve good sun for some of the day. In my opinion, secret spot does a little better job at attracting deer during the earlier parts of the season and also are very effective late as well. If you are mostly concerned with late gun season then maybe No-Plow has a slight edge late. Get ground down to the dirt. Plant in mid July. And if you can roll it with a small lawn roller after you broadcast seed then you will get good soil contact and it WILL grow..