hog hunt

mac

That place is stinkin' with poisonous snakes right? Lol ..... your not likely to ever see me stumbling around in the high grass and brush down there looking for hogs. Now I ain't saying it was so, but there could have been a time when I might have been stumbling around some Florida bars looking for wild pigs. It's possible there could have been a few snakes there too ...... lol.

I've hunted them quite a few times, in both Florida & Georgia.

I;ve killed them off of a stand (incidental), with night vision equipment (hit or miss) and with dogs (my favorite way to hunt them). I've never hunted them in a high-fence area.

My experience has been that once they are established, they are a major PIA to control. It also seems that in agricultural areas (Georgia), they are pretty nomadic, so patterning them in those areas can be difficult. They are mostly nocturnal, and their sense of smell is incredible. You generally won't see them out in the open at night like you will deer.

If you look around and do your homework, you can probably find a guide or outfitter to take you for a lot less than it would cost to hunt them in a high-fence preserve locally (but you have to factor in the drive to get there, LOL). Hope this helps.

yah there are some local outfitters around lake okechobee that will take you out on big swamp buggies also. florida flights are relatively cheap, kill a hog or 2 in a weeknd but then guess gotta overnight the meat back. Probably similar costs to going to a preserve and shooting a larger boar somewhere here in the northeast.. Im just looking for some meat and the experience of it . Thanks

It's a blast, I usually fit it in while I'm visiting relatives in the area or turkey hunting. Definitely different than anything we have here in the Northeast. I've always driven down with truck full of coolers.

The area around Okeechobee is loaded with them, and the meat's delicious. Okeechobee's also a great lake if you're into bass fishing.

thanks uncle nicky thats what im aiming for in the Lake Okeechobee area maybe while doing turkey or gator hunt during same time. also good to know the meat was good. sometimes i get a little skeptic about these feral hogs and what they may be carrying for disease or parasite.

There's a good chance theycould carry trichnososis, same as a bear or any other animal that eats carrion would. I would DEFINITELY make sure you cook it well done when you eat it. Some people make jerky or cured hams with it, but I wouldn't take a chance, due to the lower temperatures that are used.

Edited by Uncle Nicky