Any Mushroom pickers out there?

erussell

With the rain we had lately I got out to yesterday to look over my Chantrele patches yesterday. Ended up with about 50. No where near what I have got the last few yrs. But is to be expected with the lack of rain lately. Now that it is raining I hope the sulfer shelf and black trumpets start to pop up to.

I don't dare hunt for wild mushrooms. I can't tell an edible one from a poisonous one. And then I hear there are copy-cat mushrooms that are poisonous but look like edible ones. Mushroom picking sounds like something I would normally be into, but I just don't know enough about them, and mistakes in selection can turn out rather bad.

• Like 1

My roomate for 4 yrs was a former president of the Broome county mushroom club. So I learned all the good ones from him that are unmistakable from the bad ones. Morels, pinkys, hens, trumpets, sulfer shelf and giant puff ball are all pretty easy to distinguish and are the choicest of the edibles to me. I dont mess with any thing else. If you find someone who knows what they are doing its alot of fun and good eats. But your right if you do not know what you are doing dont touch anything, VERY BAD THINGS CAN HAPPEN!! I love field mushrooms ( pretty much same thing as the small white ones you get from store ) But there are a few nasty ones that if you arent carefull can be confused with field mushrooms. So I dont pick them at all.

Edited by erussell