plot update...

They are all growing great...now the WTI Forage Oats aren't up yet but...That plot is greening up and growing great!...Remember it was a clover/chicory plot I planted last fall....the drought and army worms had it short spotty and brown....WTI said the Oats needed a good seed bed ...and I did not have time to spray...I disc deep 2x's with a rain in between...had fertilized /lime ahead of time...then I hooked the harrow drag to the back of the disc with a heavy log on the drag and disced /dragged again before spreading the Oat mixture in a grid pattern....The last log drag pulled up and rolled the vegetation into many piles around the field...I broke up the biggest of these but left them in the field...took the log off drag and with the small JD dragged the seed in...OK

Well all that work must have stimulated and chopped the deep roots and the stolons of the Chicory and clovers...because in this short time that field is heavily dotted with 2in high clover chicory plants...with the oat / WW / Rye / trictical mixture planted it should be a great cover crop for the clover/chicory...I think the spring should bring in a nice field I shouldn't have to replant...can't wait to see..I see turkeys in my future...lol

No not any more ..but holy cow that field was just LOADED with bugs and I've never seen so many crickets....even after I was in there discing for a few days...nothing in that part of the field now but plants....The GH radish in the pasture plot...have surprisingly big leafs and no matter where they fall field or weeds...they sprout and grow...I tasted one ...some may have to go into salads in the coming weeks.......nice mild /smooth radish taste to them

Is this normal planting dates for u because of elevation? I'm moving up a week or so on planting, because of the year. Think spacing the plantings a tad, not putting eggs in one basket, lol. Don't trust mom nature, especially this year. Could be another Oct. snow in the making.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Is this normal planting dates for u because of elevation? I'm moving up a week or so on planting, because of the year. Think spacing the plantings a tad, not putting eggs in one basket, lol. Don't trust mom nature, especially this year. Could be another Oct. snow in the making.

That October snow last year was crazy... I probably saw 25 deer that night!

I always try and get the woodland plots in earliy....That way they are either tall enough to with stand the trees leaf fall or established enough to take a mowing...thus the rye going in so soon and braccs going in so soon.....This bigger plot of oats...I just needed to get the work done do to scheduling...and the GH radish..I've never planted before...so that's a we'll see....

We do get early frosts in certain pockets of the property..and always some of the first and last snows...the weather is funny here....it poured at the house the other day...I left the drive and got to the pines just a hundred yards away...not a drop of rain...that's why I like deep rooted plants in that area......hhmm happens to be where almost all of the oaks are as well.....