New Hawken

Caveman

Hey guys, just picked up a very lightly used caplock T/C Hawken at the Clayton gun show over the weekend. Wanted to stalk deer like it's 1830, you know, because hunting isn't hard enough. Problem is I've only ever used an inline and I need some help getting started. I think I'm going to start with 75 gr of Goex FFg powder w/ a patched round ball and move up in 5 gr increments until the group tightens up. But I have a few questions...

Having only used pyrodex pellets in the past, loose powder is measured by volume correct? Also, are the patches used to patch the ball the same ones used to clean or are they different? Any other tips to avoid rookie mistakes?

You will love it. Yes the powder is measured in volume. I have a t/c hawken in 50 caliber I have had since 1978. Mine loves 80 grains of goex ffg 490 round ball and ox-yoke .010 thickness patches. You can google oxyoke patches and find them online. You can use patches you would use to clean, but the accuracy and consistency will be better with consistent patches. They also come in different thicknesses but the most are .010 .015 and .017. You will need to swab the barrel between shots for the best accuracy while sighting it in. I use generic windex at a dollar a bottle at walmart. A patch with windex then a dry one to take the moisture out. If you have a hard time getting goex, you can use pyrodex rs and it will work just as well. I have taken deer with mine and trust me do not underestimate a patched round ball. They do a great job. Work up a good load and you will be very happy. I was at the clayton show on saturday. It was good for sure.

Edited by bubba

I was there Saturday around 11 am. I take a fishing trip up there with my father once a year (live in Buffalo) and if they're having the show that weekend I stop in. I originally was looking for a good deal on AR upper/lower separates but then I saw the Hawken. I've wanted one for a while and was originally holding out for a flintlock but this thing is cherry. Not a knick in the stock, no tarnish on the brass whatsoever and the bore looks like it's never been fired. 2 bills cash 'n carry I'll settle for the caplock.

I have the renegade also in 54. I love shooting it too. I was there after lunch. I only live 40 minutes or so from there. I forgot to add, I have had my best results with rws #11 caps.

Edited by bubba

you might want to check the rate-of-twist in the barrel. a 1 in 66 is standard for patched round balls. a faster twist will certainly shoot accurately with a prb, as with any gun just have to work up the proper charge. i have a 54 hawken flintlock and killed several deer,a yote, a couple of squirrels, and a black bear using a prb with 100g fff. also pre-lubed patches are easier to work with. also have a 54 traditions that shoots mighty fine with prb's but because of the faster rot it does shoot powerbelts better.

i find it a lot of fun working up a charge and getting it right with black powder guns, you will too and will be getting that flintlock next. good luck and keep your powder dry. :drinks:

I love my 50 cal. hawkins I use gorx FFFg and shoot 90 gr. of powdered I do very well at 50 yards all my shots stay in the black nice and tight

good luck with your new hawkins

papabear

P.S.

where did you find the gorx I ran out and can not find any on long island and would like to get at lest 2 cans [2lb,s' of FFg powder thank you

I recieved my T/C hawken .50 cal as a gift in 1973...It is the only muzzleloader I have ever used for deer and I have killed quite a few with it, including my best whitetail ever, shot in the late ML season in 1994.

The Hawkens have a 1/48" twist, which is not ideal for either RB or conicals, but is a compromise that should shoot either one acceptably well. Mine gives good hunting accuracy with both.

For years I shot PRB with 90 grains of 2F blackpowder or pyrodex . It was accurate and killed very well. Then about 10 years ago I drew a ML elk tag in CO and decided to work up a load with a heavy conical, since the PRB in .50 cal seemed a tad light for elk..

I settled on the No Excuses 460 conical ahead of 80 grains of loose 3F 777. I killed my only bull elk with it , a 6X6 ,and it performed flawlessly. The bullet I recovered just under the hide on the off side of the bull was a perfect mushroom. I have used that load since for deer, and it works fine for them also.

A few years back my old eyes quit working well with the open rear sight on my Hawken, so I installed a tang peep sight , which I can still see well. Actually, I shoot a little better with the peep than I did with the factory open rear sight.