Scents/Grunting

BigGuyNY

Too early for most scents or rattling & grunting for that matter. Vamilla Extract works. If there are Beavers in your area take a q tip of beaver castor oil paste and stick it on a stump, log or on the ground, Deer are attracted to it. Beaver castor is the main ingredient in many Buck Lures.

I wouldn't use any scents, or grunt. If you see a buck out of range a light ticking of horns like a buck rubbing a sapling may work, or sparing (not an all out fight ) very light ticking . This early focus on food, many bucks will still be in loose bachlor groups, gorging themselves before the up coming rut, if you find one you may find them all. by second week many bucks will be dispursing and you will see a lot of younger buck movement as they wanter looking for a safe haven from the big boys.

I'd say no scents unless buck urine ..until you have had a chance to watch behavior...if in your area you find some doe exhibiting estrus behavior or light chasing...as with the short early rut...then try and estrus scent...other than that ....some light grunts for boys looking to set territories

I don't think I'll be blind calling much untial end of October and that's usually limited at best. I also wouldn't waste time in scents until later in the month.

With Oct....you want to capitalize on patterns and your best bet...the first time in and catch them before they know they are being hunted.

• Like 1

I have been playing around with different scents this year with the trail camera. I tried vanilla extract, didn't do much. I sprayed my cover scents by a camera, actually stopped and smelled the ground. I sprayed some doe urine a few stops, haven't tried buck urine yet. I did spray some buck bomb on a frequently used camera trail and its been completely avoided by all the does and even the one pickled fork buck that would normally stop by. I wouldn't try any scents until they are in full chase personally. I have read a few threads about orbital gland and scrapes that looks tempting to buy some if you are interested in seeing some more action around the stand.

If you rattled or use a grunt be very passive this early because if anything its only light sparring and thats usually the young ones. We need a good frost before they are going to start getting active. I wouldn't use that stuff yet because the deer should still be on the routine for a couple of weeks until we get closer to the rut/mating season. I haven't even really seen much rub or scrape activity by me yet but its still pretty warm here

Early season I have had deer come in to (only a few times) doe pee. Not estrus or doe in heat but plain doe pee. IMHO nothing is going to work all that good this early. some kind of food scent might work. One year I tried that Buck Snort apple scent. It's a gel. It drove the does nuts but no bucks. One time I had a big doe come right into it , after she busted me. in It smelled so good and the scent was so strong that I could smell it from my stand, with the right wind, and it made me hungry. I have tried it a few times since then with so so results...still no bucks. Who knows?

Early season I have had deer come in to (only a few times) doe pee. Not estrus or doe in heat but plain doe pee. IMHO nothing is going to work all that good this early. some kind of food scent might work. One year I tried that Buck Snort apple scent. It's a gel. It drove the does nuts but no bucks. One time I had a big doe come right into it , after she busted me. in It smelled so good and the scent was so strong that I could smell it from my stand, with the right wind, and it made me hungry. I have tried it a few times since then with so so results...still no bucks. Who knows?

I'm aware that scents are legal in NY and baiting is a big NO NO but apple scent gel fall under scent or bait? I know that deer cane gel is considered the same as salt block and is therefore illegal. I'm trying to google it now