Three food plots on my property

Turnips were never touched this year. I probably had the only food plot of turnips in N.Y. that didn't get munched on!

My big field was full of clover and I know they really love that. Just talked to the farmer who leases from me my field will be in clover and alfalfa for the next two years.

That would be it...you wait they will find them..If your up there this winter you'll smell why....the deer mowed down mine early and ate the bulbs as well ...but some where immature and some so big...they only ate half... and the warm spell we had a couple of weeks ago got green growing...they are still digging them up.....I also plant in sections to attract....The pic shows...clover next to a new planting of turnips...next to buckwheat..that I later over seeded with turnips...as the turnips grew they tasted them as they ate the buckwheat...getting them use to it...when the frost killed the buck wheat there were the turnips...ready to go :)

• 2 months later...

Not a huge turnip fan, yes they get eaten but they take a lot out of the soil. The recomendation is not to plant them in same location every year. I've had turnips and clover next to each other and although they get hit, the clover is always dug down to and i don't have to plant it every year. I've seen a lot more deer in a good clover/alfalfa field than in a turnip field. With the price of gas/fertalizer a perenial is making a lot more sence than plowing, and planting every year. further when the turnips are hit thats it done.. clover withstands grazing pressure a lot longer which is important to me if i plan on hunting over it especially if we get an early frost and my "honey hole"is eaten to the ground before i can hunt it. 

Not a huge turnip fan, yes they get eaten but they take a lot out of the soil. The recomendation is not to plant them in same location every year. I've had turnips and clover next to each other and although they get hit, the clover is always dug down to and i don't have to plant it every year. I've seen a lot more deer in a good clover/alfalfa field than in a turnip field. With the price of gas/fertalizer a perenial is making a lot more sence than plowing, and planting every year. further when the turnips are hit thats it done.. clover withstands grazing pressure a lot longer which is important to me if i plan on hunting over it especially if we get an early frost and my "honey hole"is eaten to the ground before i can hunt it.

That is sound advice!

If you want to help deer survive the winter, corn is good or sorgum. Although most people i know plant food plots as hunting plots not destination feed fields. A work of caution deer eat a lot and a small plot of corn can be gone in short order, a winter feed field should be large enough to have the food left in march/april as that is when natural foods are at the lowest. I started with an acre field of corn 14 years ago and now plant 10 this is the 1st year there has been any corn left.

• 1 month later...