Field tips/Broadheads

BigGuyNY

I spoke to a friend of mine early today. He has been practicing for the upcoming bow season for the past few weeks with field tips and has been shooting very well at 25 and 35 yards. Today he switched over to broadheads and immediately had a problem shooting. All his shots were hitting low and to the right, where previously were shot as a tight group with the field tips. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? We are in the process of checking to make sure that the broadheads and the field tips are the same weight

yea make sure they are the same grain weight and adjust the sights for the broadheads. If thats what type of broadhead he is going to use then he should make sure the bow is sighted in for those heads. Every broadhead flies differently and should be tweaked as needed.

Move the rest in the direction you want the arrow to go, in his case move it to the left a hair to start. Some times this will correct the up and down too, if not move the rest down a hair. Tiny steps here are important, field points and broadheads should group together in a few minor adjustments. Provided he is shooting a properly spined arrow of course.

• Like 1

People tend to have problems with their arrows when the arrows aren't properly tuned the bow they are shooting it out of. Spine stiffness broadhead weight and F.O.C. all make differences when shooting.

I would first make sure his field tips and broadheads are the same weight. Then try building out your side plate or arrow rest depending what you are using to hold your arrow. Make sure he makes very small adjustments and knows what he did. If he moves it to much he will want to bring it back to where he started from and try the other way etc.

If he is shooting a consistent group with his broadheads time after time then either move the sight or check the tuning of the rest by paper tuning the bow. DO NOT just move the rest without checking through paper first. It is foolish to try and guess at this stuff a few days before the season 99% of the time if bow is tuned correctly it will hit the same. Sometimes you need to make a small adjustment to the sight (which is not a big deal) If all else fails take it to a bow shop and ask an expert

Funny, I was going to post this same question. I have been shooting fantastic groups with my field tips all summer. My Grim Reaper broad heads come with a fake broad head to practice with. Shot that several times and hit in the same group as my field tips. I was ready to roll on Monday. For the hell of it, I whipped out the real broadhead and shot it and it hit WAY high and left. Thought it was me so I kept shooting and same thing from all yards. What the hell would cause your field tip and practice broadhead hit perfect and your real one not be close?? I am bewildered now and have one day to figure this out.