Small Game vs. Early Archery.

squirrel slayer

Has the two extra weeks affected small game season? Yup..but by my choice. Since I started to b ow hunting, it has taken over my desire to small game hunt much to the displeasure of my Brittany. I'm gonna get out there but with the early opener, I small game hunt less.

How does anyone feel THEY own the right of lands exclusively(regardless of the season lengths), unless of course they own it themselves?

I guess I am in the minority here. I hunt on an open farm. People hunt turkeys, rabbits, squirrels, and grouse there during the day. I don't care if beagles run a rabbit right under my stand. I am just happy to be out in the woods. I see my share of nice bucks, and see lots of younger bucks to go with lots of doe and fawns. At night a couple times a week, I know at least one guy that runs coonhounds there as well. Guess what? I still see deer all through the season. During gun season, when the people really come out, I just have to get where they don't go. The number of deer drops for the first week or so, and then they are right back. That is what kills me about all the places locked up tight for one or two people. Sure, they see some nice bucks, but now there will only be a couple people enjoying the land instead of several like where I hunt. I just grew up knowing how to share and be more tolerant of my peers. At any time in the last 30 years I could have posted this land up tight, but still choose to share. No antler restrictions, but enough choose to pass on the young bucks that we see several nice 2 year olds and a couple mature bucks every year. Don't believe all the stuff they put in the magazines and on the hunting shows. Just become a better hunter and help out your peers once in awhile.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Raul2145
      Hi Everyone, 
      It is current the last week for regular season in upstate NY. Living the life working and being a full time student, I have some time off this week and would like to take a ride upstate to do a gun hunt. Never have I hunted public land in the areas 3 G, F, or N and was looking for some recommendations and help! I had used the DEC info locator and found California Hill and thought I might go there. Is there any recommendations on areas to go to in any of the wmu’s? Or on California? Any help would be really appreciated!! 

best of holiday wishes! 

• By PertnearOutdoors
      Hi Everyone, my name is Billy Harvey and I am a new member to the forum. Wanted to introduce myself and share about my local hunting podcast that my friends and I are doing called the Pertnear Outdoors Podcast. http://inktr.ee/pertnearoutdoors
      We started the show a couple years ago and have enjoyed getting to meet some great guests and built some awesome relationships so far. We have become actively engaged with the National Deer Association local chapters to raise some money through raffles and even brewing a beer with proceeds going to NDA and the Venison Donation Coalition. 
      There are two events coming up soon here in WNY that we hope would interest many of you. 
      This saturday 8-14 at 12pm is a Tethrd Teach and Train event at Allied Sportsmen in Alden on Clinton street. This is a free event and just need to sign up at the following link. Teach and Train signup Sunday 8-22 we are hosting a beer debut event at Windy Brew in Sheldon NY right on Rt. 20a. We will have basket raffles with some great prizes including tree stands, fishing gear, easton arrows and much more. We will also be raffling off a Traditions Nitrofire Muzzleloader. All proceeds from the event will be split between NDA and VDC. We hope to see you there.  If anyone is interested in any other info, feel free to contact us on Instagram @pertnearoutdoorspodcast or on Facebook. 
      Thanks and look forward to interacting with the group.
      Billy-

• By Toth9050
      I'm new to the area and looking for some places to hunt  the next few weekends through bow/muzzleloader season. I'm living in New Paltz, and the place that seems the most promising to me so far is Vernooy Kill State forrest, and north into Sundown. Has anyone had any luck in these areas? Is there anywhere better in the area I should check out? Any info is welcome
    • By Raul2145
      Hi Everyone,
      My name is Raul and I am a new hunter! I've been hunting public land for now, but have been suffering. I've done 2 10 hour sits at Kings Park and 3 10 hour sits at Rocky Point and haven't seen one deer. I use a treestand and use scent blocker. I also get there super early in the morning. I need help! I plan to go again this friday. I scouted Rocky point after the first day and always see sign and I try to hunt the areas, but no success. I hunt around 42 and 36 I think. If someone wants the exact spot I can send them it on a map. I am really just looking for help in any areas and everything. I have put so much effort yet all i want is to just see one that will keep moral up. Any help is really appreciated!
    • By C-H Brad
      We will be publishing the new list of available hunting leases on Monday, March 2, 2020 at 7:30 AM on our website www.cottonhanlon.com 
      Cotton-Hanlon is a private timber company that owns land in NY and PA (sorry all our land in PA is currently leased). We have been leasing land since the fall of 1970. You will be dealing directly with the us, no third parties.
      Still working on the list but it looks like we'll have woodlots available in the following counties in NY: Broome, Cayuga, Chemung, Chenango, Cortland, Oswego, Schuyler, Tioga and Tompkins.
      Make sure to check it out first thing that morning for the best choices.
      Thanks, Bob