What part of the season are we in?

MMMVenison

This is my first year bow hunting. I have hunted during the regular season for years. I went out this morning for the first time and was just thinking to myself as I didn't see any deer until 2pm. (little doe/fawn on her own eating some soy beans) But I was wondering if this time of the year is part of the pre-rut? I know the rut hasn't come yet by people's posts... But just wondering what the pre-rut consists of. I have about 30 million scrapes along the outer perimeters of our 90 acre property...only saw 2 rubs though. Well I hope to get some feedback. Thanks in advance!

I had to recover a deer over 225 yards on saturday through two sets of pines sandwiched by mountain laurel and oaks...pindrops the whole time.

One thing I learned on that recovery was that my cousin, grandfather and I are set up perfect on this years breeding ground. My cuz already had a brutus on his trail cam right by a giant rub and scrape and right under his new stand...

But best yet, as we were on our hands and knees recovering my deer, we came upon about a dozen great scrapes and tons of other rubs...AND the little buck I got this weekend came right in on me after I hit a couple bawls and short and gentle sparring session.

Granted this was in northeastern PA, but the climate has been very similar over the past 10-12 months between here in CNY and there. Also as I only hunted my local breeding/evening spot once so far, I had a giant doe right under me at 5:30, missed her, had the commotion of her taking off, and then still had a nice buck follow right up her same path an hour later.

I would say pre-rut phase is full on and bucks are responding to other mild-mannered bucks at this point, with the potential for some bucks to be chasing early does.

Edited by 7J Everyday