Long Island Deer Movement

Geno C

I didn't have much luck last night. I saw seven deer but all were about 80 yards out and went down the same trail in the same direction. I think one was a buck but i'm not sure and the rest were does and fawns. I hate hunting in the wind and never really have any luck. Next time i'm out in the wind i'm just going to slowly still hunt instead of sitting in the stand. Not sure where i'm hunting this weekend might head back upstate and hunt the island again the last weekend of Oct. After that i'm off for first two weeks of Nov and will be hunting Ohio the first week and probably the Island the week after. Nov cant get here fast enough lol!!! Good luck to everybody hunting this week. Ill be stuck at work :(.

John

I was out Saturday morning near the peconic river on public land. I didn't see anything. At 11:30am I gave up and scouted some other spot. Walked the trail, still hunted for another 80 minutes there. Saw 2 horseback riders and a pack of 8 quads and dirt bikes, headed back to the truck and called it a day.

Seems like October lull to me. Figured that much yesterday so I went into a thick spot deep in the woods near a bedding area midday. Had a fawn under me in first half hour and that was it. To me it seemed like a peak of activity in my area October 12-16 possibly a few does came into heat maybe an early lockdown period this past weekend? May sit out till around Halloween unless we get a real cold day.

Went out on Saturday afternoon and had four does walk down the trail right in front of me, one yearling, two 1.5 year old, and one 2.5 year old. She must of weighed between 120 and 140 pounds. She was the most cautious but kept moving and eating and looking up into my elevated blind. She finally got 18 yards away and put her head down to eat, I raised my bow, drew, and let my arrow fly only to be deflected by a small branch that I had looked at earlier in the day but didn't think it presented a problem but it did. Over the shoulder the arrow went to be buried four inches into a tree and off she went back up the trail.

Well better luck next weekend !!

Well to go along with my 3 times out this season all my action has been in the am. At 730am this morning I had a 4 pointer come off the hill to my right. I needed it to go left. Still was a great day in the woods. Hoping to get out again Monday. My brother is heading out tomorrow if the weather holds up.

I have only been out a couple of times earlier in the season but have a couple of buddies hunting steady. This past weekend seemed to be a spurt of chasing going on. Saturday morning first light one of them arrowed a 145 class ten that came in grunting behind a doe with a fawn, Also spotted on Sunday morning were two eights scent checking some does. Soon as my roof is done I will be out for the next three weeks and will post. Cant shoot em from the couch. Guess it depends on the area you hunt.

I've been working a lot of OT lately so I havent been out too much this year. Been out 4 times and only saw 2 deer. At least it sounds like some guys are seeing some movement. I went out yesterday afternoon with my buddy and we saw one deer down a run about 150 yds away as we were walking in. That was it for the entire afternoon. Hopefully I'll get out this Sunday and Monday. Looks like the weather could be a question mark though. Plus it looks like a warming trend coming up.

Going to try to get out tomorrow after work if I can swing it. Wind should finally be good for a stand I've let sit. Weekend looks suspect, have to see what sandy does. Possibility it will collide with trough of low pressure pushing off east coast and become a massive subtropical storm/nor'easter. This would ruin Sunday/Monday/Tuesday but would likely usher in the first real cold snap of fall. I'll report from stand tomorrow if I get in.

I have only been out a couple of times earlier in the season but have a couple of buddies hunting steady. This past weekend seemed to be a spurt of chasing going on. Saturday morning first light one of them arrowed a 145 class ten that came in grunting behind a doe with a fawn, Also spotted on Sunday morning were two eights scent checking some does. Soon as my roof is done I will be out for the next three weeks and will post. Cant shoot em from the couch. Guess it depends on the area you hunt.

can you post a picture of the 8? would love to see a shot of this deer. must be a beautiful 8 to go 145 :)

Heading out all day on saturday. Gonna be warn but you never knkw what is gonna come by.

John

great way to think John! not going to kill one sitting home thinking about the warm weather... i always think positive myself

Good Luck this weekend guys!!! I will be out tomorrow just not sure what spot i'm going to yet. My private land spot has a ton of does but not too many bucks showing up yet. I will probably stay out of there until the rut really gets going and i know the big boys will be in there. Either way i cant wait to hit the woods tomorrow.

John