Need help with a value

I got a call from a friend of mine today, who has a neighbor looking to sell a Remington 870 Wingmaster with both the original bird barrel, and the Brushmaster deer barrel. The weapon is already drilled and tapped and has a set of Weaver 1" rings, and an older Redfield 2 3/4X scope. Based on the fact that the stock barrel has no date code, that tells me it was manufactured after 1999. The other barrel comes back as a 2002 (slug barrel) - so what do you estimate the value at in "good" condition?

He does not really know what to ask for it, and I don't want to cheat him or lowball. I looked at it earlier - it is in great shape. The inside of the receiver is not even worn, nor are the slides. Could not have had many rounds through it. The stock and forgrip are walnut (i think?) with a single thin scratch about 1/2' long. Both barrels are in perfect condition, does not look like the slug barrel has even been swapped in, not a scratch anywhere. I will not be able to get an exact year until Monday when I call in the serial number but I am guessing 2000 - 2002 from what I can see in other pictures. I'll see if I can run back over and get a few pictures.

I finally found some good pricing info - I did pretty good. Gun itself in this condition with no scope and stock barrel is going for around 250 - 300. Second barrel is another 100, not sure what it would cost to have it drilled and tapped, but I added that into my offer, as well as the scope. I feel comfortable and I know that he did as well - he REALLY needed the cash, so I have a good conscience too. :biggrin:

• Like 1

You got a good gun and a quality scope.

The older Redfields were good quality. Drilling and tapping generally reduces the resale value of a gun, even though it might increase the UTILITY of said forearm. Used guns sell better in their original, unaltered condition.

Just try to sell a classic shotgun like a Win Model 12 or a Belgian Browning A-5 that has been drilled and tapped.. It will sell as shooter, the value will be considerably less than an unaltered specimen.. Aftermarket adjustable chokes like Poly Chokes are a real kiss of death. They are perfectly functional ( the forerunner of screw in choke tubes), but they cut the value of the firearm about in half.