Bird Gun?

315hunter

^^What he said

Gun...yes, but you'll need a different choke. I use a lead modified choke for ducks and geese, which is equivalent to full when using steel for waterfowl. I use a extended pure gold. When I come up with some spare funds I will get a Improved cylinder(lead) to use as a modified steel choke for decoying ducks .

Edited by jr.deerslayer

I used full choke on pheasants. Most were head shots which s good but one I shot in the butt. The entire back half was completely ripped off. Luckily I was able to save the breast meat. I'll be using modified choke in the future.

Uh-oh, guys. I just got a Mossy 500 new w/ factory chokes. I didn't think to make sure the included choke tubes were for lead and steel both. I've fired a few rounds of steel #4 shot through the modified tube already. Am I in danger of ruining the tube or worse or is it OK ?

Uh-oh, guys. I just got a Mossy 500 new w/ factory chokes. I didn't think to make sure the included choke tubes were for lead and steel both. I've fired a few rounds of steel #4 shot through the modified tube already. Am I in danger of ruining the tube or worse or is it OK ?

I use a Mossy 500 as well and I shoot strictly steel out of it. I am told that it does wear out the barrel quicker. How much? I don't know but I am just as curious of the input of the more experienced forum members.

The standard choke tubes that come with modern shotguns are designed to be used with either lead or steel shot. I suspect you could shoot steel through them for a lifetime with no ill effects. What you should NOT do, is shoot steel through the xtra full chokes ( like turkey chokes) .Most of them have a warning printed on them to use lead shot only. Also, avoid using steel shot in older fixed choke shotguns. Many of them have thin walled barrels and can be deformed by steel shot. Most guns made after appx. 1970 were designed to shoot steel shot with no problems.

Steel does pattern tighter than lead shot. In a single barrel gun I best results with IC for steel, for both ducks and geese. In my over/under I use IC/MOD.

WOW guess I need to look in to this a lot more I have been hunting every thing from turkey to crows with a xxxtra full on them stands to reason why I can kill the heck out of turkey with lead # 4 at 60 or 70 yards but cat hit the side of a barn from inside with steel shot lol

I have an 835. I use an extra full choke for turkey and a plain modified choke for water fowl (steel). It works great. Modified is a good all around choke, and should work well for pheasents too. Just DON'T SHOOT STEEL THROUGH THAT EXTRA FULL CHOKE

The standard choke tubes that come with modern shotguns are designed to be used with either lead or steel shot. I suspect you could shoot steel through them for a lifetime with no ill effects. What you should NOT do, is shoot steel through the xtra full chokes ( like turkey chokes) .Most of them have a warning printed on them to use lead shot only. Also, avoid using steel shot in older fixed choke shotguns. Many of them have thin walled barrels and can be deformed by steel shot. Most guns made after appx. 1970 were designed to shoot steel shot with no problems.

Steel does pattern tighter than lead shot. In a single barrel gun I best results with IC for steel, for both ducks and geese. In my over/under I use IC/MOD.

Listen to this guy he knows what he is talking about!

I also use IC/Mod on the over under and my 870 I primarily use a IC, same with my other shot guns too. Sometimes a Mod choke is better for further shots at Pheasants, depends on the shooter.

With proper 12 ga.loads, an IC choke is adequate for pheasants out to 35 yds. The pattern is still enough to prevent a bird to fly through and hit will bring it down and it will still suffice as good tablefare. You should pattern your gun with a variety of chokes and loads so you can determine how it shoots each one. Stick with #6's or #5's for pheasant and you'll be successful. Both sizes will handle a variety of situations and presentations.

With a pointing dog on upland game, I'll use SKT/MOD in my 20 ga. double. It's more than enough even with light loads. I pass on those going-away shots of far-out birds because the kill area is small, and a pheasant's backside is like armor plate. Quartering and crossing shots are a different animal.

Full choke is something you use for wild Kansas pheasants on a windy day when they flush wild out in front of the dogs.

When you hit them with the right stuff, they come back a lot less fiesty.

IMG_0855.jpg

Edited by Setters4life

Yes that is why the Pheasants you got were missing parts..lol

Yeah, Elmo..I really can't think of any practical applications for a full choke with steel shot..For most hunting you would be much better off with an IC choke if you must shoot steel..

I personally only shoot steel when it is legally required, as when shooting ducks and geese..

For most game, lead is much more efficient.

I agree with setters4life's recomendations with lead shot. He obviously has killed his share of birds and knows what he is talking about.

Back when lead shot was legal for waterfowl, I killed a BUNCH of decoyed ducks including big ducks such as mallards and blacks, with an IC 2 3/4 load of 7 1/2 shot from a 12 gauge auto. That load was also deadly on pheasants out to 35 yards or so.

Edited by Pygmy

• 2 weeks later...