7mm Rem Mag recoil

Recoil of a 150 grain 30-06 from a 8 lbs rifle = 18.66 ft-lbs.

Recoil of a 150 grain 30-06 from a 11 lbs rifle = 13.57 ft-lbs.

Recoil of a 150 grain 7mm Rem Mag from a 8 lbs rifle = 21.68 ft-lbs

Recoil of a 150 grain 7mm Rem Mag from a 11 lbs rifle = 15.77 ft-lbs

Recoil-wise I'd say they are close to being the same. Muzzle blast from the 7mm Mag. I was always accutely aware of.

Use this recoil calculator and compare similar loads in a rifle of the same weight. (You'll need to know the powder weight to complete the calculation. If you don't reload simply grab them from reloading data you can find anywhere on the internet. I.E. http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp)

Recoil calculator:

http://www.handloads...calc/recoil.asp

My goto for a few years was a 7mm rem mag and I don't think it kicked that bad. I use a limbsaver on it anyway, so that takes a considerable amount of recoil instead of my shoulder. As setters said, its the muzzle blast that got me. that thing is loud. My 300 WSM isnt that bad. But when the adrenaline flows, you don't hear it.

i still think my 1187 3.5" super mag turkey loads are much worse. its a good thing i only shoot a few of those a year, or i would quit.

Elmo...although you may be correct with the figures,there is a lot to take into concideration there besides head weight and rifle weight.For example: a Sako in 30-06 with a wood stock VS a Rem in wood stock.....stock design also makes a difference in many rifles. I have shot both of the cals,I own an older 700 Rem that has a SS BBL and is Magnaported and has a factory rubber pad.My late Dad had a 06 that was customized with a shorter BBL and ported.My 7mag was nicer to shoot,much easier on the shoulder with both being loaded with 150g heads. My point is,is that I think there are too many variables to really judge one from another in a Technical aspect.My 308 in Rem 700 was a shoulder beater,awful beating with 150g heads.At the range,I wanted no more after 3 shots.My 7mag I would shoot all day.

• Like 1

.stock design also makes a difference in many rifles

A big difference. The 7mm Mag. I had was a comfortable shooting rifle, but it had a well-designed stock and it was heavy. But was it ever heavy! (Probably why I sold it.)

My .30-06 760 carbine from the 60's kicks the most of my 06's because of that skinny, narrow little thing they call a stock with its aluminum buttplate. But it's a handy, accurate rifle; which is why I like it.

Elmo...although you may be correct with the figures,there is a lot to take into concideration there besides head weight and rifle weight.For example: a Sako in 30-06 with a wood stock VS a Rem in wood stock.....stock design also makes a difference in many rifles. I have shot both of the cals,I own an older 700 Rem that has a SS BBL and is Magnaported and has a factory rubber pad.My late Dad had a 06 that was customized with a shorter BBL and ported.My 7mag was nicer to shoot,much easier on the shoulder with both being loaded with 150g heads. My point is,is that I think there are too many variables to really judge one from another in a Technical aspect.My 308 in Rem 700 was a shoulder beater,awful beating with 150g heads.At the range,I wanted no more after 3 shots.My 7mag I would shoot all day.

I agree with you, rifle design plays a HUGE part in it. I've shot a 7 rem mag out of a long barrelled tikka and I've shot a 30-06 out of a cheaper Remington 770. They both kicked exactly the same to me.

I pulled those statistics out of the "Cartiridge Comparison Guide". I'm not 100% sure how strict or rigid they conduct their test. They claim to run their test in a lab and the bullets are being shot out of a test machine and not an actual rifle. This way they can measure the bullets in the same exact conditions.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Elmo, do you have the numbers for a 300 Weatherby?

Thanks,

Bill

Thanks Elmo, do you have the numbers for a 300 Weatherby?

Thanks,

Bill

.300 Weatherby Mag

Recoil of a 150 grain .300 Weatherby Mag from a 8 lbs rifle = 30.35 ft-lbs.

Recoil of a 150 grain .300 Weatherby Mag from a 11 lbs rifle = 22.07 ft-lbs.

Recoil of a 180 grain .300 Weatherby Mag from a 8 lbs rifle = 31.54 ft-lbs.

Recoil of a 180 grain .300 Weatherby Mag from a 11 lbs rifle = 22.94 ft-lbs.